Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Here's my favorite grate cleaner- what's yours?  (Read 4116 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Here's my favorite grate cleaner- what's yours?
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:59:00 AM »
I'm no neat freak when it comes to cooking grates but like to keep em relatively clean. A few months ago while repainting an out building I discovered a great grate cleaner.

It can take as much pressure as you need to clean down to the metal, can do a good enough job getting to the underside if you don't have the time or inclination to flip the grate, and there are no metal bristles to fall off and slice your throat when you swallow that juicy burger.  :)

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Here's my favorite grate cleaner- what's yours?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Try a Billy Bar.   www.Billybar.com
Got one during the winter, finally got to use it the past couple weekends.   I love it so far!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Here's my favorite grate cleaner- what's yours?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »
Weber three sided wire bristle grill brush. The wire is heavier than others and I've never had an issue. I use a Weber detailing brush for the bottom side of the grate around the reinforcement and edges, especially on my 26.

I have a grill tool that cleans like the "Billy Bar" but it's way too slow compared to the Weber brush. I toss the brushes after the bristles look really mashed down and are more likely to break, but I still take a oiled paper towel  in my tongs and wipe the grates down  good right before any meat goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:41 PM »
This is what I've been using for about 9 months now.  I love it.  Think I got it on amazon for under $19.  Might have been a lightning deal.  Came with a bag to put it in...not sure why!  Lol.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »
This is what I've been using for about 9 months now.  I love it.  Think I got it on amazon for under $19.  Might have been a lightning deal.  Came with a bag to put it in...not sure why!  Lol.

That's what I use as well. Love it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
If you are anal about it then Grill Floss works really well. I have one and like it but don't use it every time. It actually works much faster than you would think it would.

My every day brush is the Cave Tools brush. I have used it at least 2 times per week for a year on average and it's still going strong. That said, I don't clean my grill after I cook. I clean my grill before I cook - it's way easier to scrape of carbonized material and you don't have to work hard at all.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »

Hey this looks pretty useful!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »
My wife got me one of these in my Christmas stocking last year.  It worked well cleaning up all the stubborn bits left over form a pork butt smoke.  For general cleaning I use brush MikeRocksTheRed posted.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
My everyday brush is a basic one with brass bristles from Libman. I wanted one brush that could work on any grill grate including cast iron. My research indicated that a steel wire brush might be too stiff for CI and I didn't want to hurt any that have a porcelain enamel coating. And also, every steel wire brush I've had lasts maybe a season, as the bristles just wear away or get bent.

This one, despite brass being softer, has held up BETTER: http://libman.com/products/69/

This long-handled version will be next; I didn't know about it until just now: http://libman.com/products/12/ I have a version of that brush with plastic bristles for help cleaning out grills/smokers. Love the large hook on the end and contour.

One caveat with these Libmans (and, I suspect, any that similarly are made of plastic). You must limit your time using the metal scraper on a hot grill or the metal scraper will fall out of the handle as the plastic surrounding it heats up. That happened, I let everything cool off and reinserted the metal scraper, which hasn't fallen out since!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

rkhanso

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
I use one of these wooden scrapers (actually gave some for Christmas presents this past Christmas):
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Easy to make, Works great.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Automatic grate cleaners:

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
Automatic grate cleaners:

Hahahahaha
...that's pretty funny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
just picked this up at bbqs galore. did not realize they were this huge lol