Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old style cooking grate  (Read 3054 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Old style cooking grate
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
I was in a store tonight that had some new Weber cooking grates. These were the "old style" straight grates with no hinged sides.  Are these worth grabbing? Are they still readily available or is this becoming a rare commidity?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Old style cooking grate
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
They are listed in the 2013 catalog, I think they are still available. It is part number #7435. Some stores might choose not to carry the basic model.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:48:53 AM by reillyranch »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
I would check them. If you can't slide your index finger through the grate bars I would buy them. The old ones have thicker bars and there are more of them. They are much better than the new ones. Keep me posted.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »
I've noticed that our local ACE & Home Depot's & Lowe's stopped carrying the basic grates in favor of the hinged ones in the last year or so. Speaking of grates, whats up with the ones that come with the One Touch Silver's in recent years? To Duke's point, they don't seem as strong as the original one that came with my red and brown 22's.  :-\

Craig
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:50:41 AM by husker_red »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
I talked to a CSR at Weber this morning and she confirmed that Weber is still producing the straight grates. They come on the OTS kettles only. The hinge grates are now exclusive to the OTG kettles. Apparently, they are trying to differentiate between the two models.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Right, but the straight grates are cheap and flimsy now. They only last one season.

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
I agree - I have a one touch silver  On my other kettles from years past I remembered the grills were much more durable.  I replaced the grate with the hinged grate.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
The flimsy ones you speak of Duke, are the ones with the rounded handles on each side, yes?

Craig

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:03 AM »
I've seen all levels of quality grates. If you buy brand new grills, the OTS basic grill has the cheapest grate I have ever seen. I doubt it lasts more than one year at the most.
If you buy OTG's or better, the grates are somewhat better. If you go to buy replacements, the quality has decresased substantially. If you find the thicker grates at any store, you should grab yourself a couple spares. Home Depot and Lowes only seem to sell the flip grates. At least in the stores.
I'm thinnking that ACE hardware stores probably have some of the older grates around.
Happy Hunting!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
I discovered this year that Target puts their grill stuff on clearance in the fall.  So I grabbed up some hinged grates for about 9 bucks apiece.  Everything else was about half price as well. 
One of the charcoal people.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »
The flimsy ones you speak of Duke, are the ones with the rounded handles on each side, yes?

Craig
Yep, those ones. I think walmart also sells a version like it, only it's just a little better. ::)