Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Process and Cost of Upgrading SS Performer to use 20lb Tanks  (Read 3611 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Process and Cost of Upgrading SS Performer to use 20lb Tanks
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
There is a SS performer available in my area but it still has the original tank. Filling tanks isnt done in my area, everyone does exchanges now. I want to have it run off a standard OPD 20 lb tank since i always have 1-2 backups available for my Genesis. that sits right next to my kettle.

What is the process to change the equipment to accept the 20 lb tanks? It is complex or fairly straight forward?

What parts are required? In a perfect world a six foot hose would be ideal but this is not mandatory.

What is the rough parts cost  for the conversion?
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Process and Cost of Upgrading SS Performer to use 20lb Tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
I can't answer your question directly, but just did purchase one a month or so ago that is setup exactly what you are asking about. I can get some pics and try and see what was involved with it, but I don't think it was much more than an adapter to go to the larger tank, but I could be wrong. Will try and update later tonight or in the AM. I do have to say, the larger tank is nice as I know I wont be running out of gas anytime soon and it seems to be working great. Mine also sits next to my Summit Gasser so the larger tank is not a big deal.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
Filling tanks isnt done in my area, everyone does exchanges now.
U-Haul typically refills propane bottles.  At least in my area.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »
I have a 20# tank w/ a quick disconnect on it.

Just another option.

The original owner of the grill didn't like having to fill up the little bottle all the time.

It came with the small one, and I recently picked up another small one. I've used U-Haul to fill them up as well - a little expensive at about $6+ but it lasts a long time for just a quick light.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:34:42 AM »
  I think you can find an adapter and hose at any hardware store for around $20.00 , it's an easy job :)

I'd personally find a place to fill my tanks , exchange tanks are twice the cost of getting one filled . Also if you haven't owned a performer before then you probably don't know that the tank it comes with lasts forever :) I mean an entire year is not out of the realm of possibility , it costs me around $ 4.00 to get mine filled. 
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »

With a SS Performer, I assume we're talking about a QD connector, and not the "camping" cylinder, Yes?

Dude, relax your chicken.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
These are the photos from the CL ad:

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
Just pick up the grill and post a pick if you have more questions. Any modern tank can be adapted. The hose is the main thing.

You might offer the old tank to some WKC nearby ... they are the perfect fit for that grill frame.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
Emailed owner. I'll keep you guys posted.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
I picked up an SS performer last summer that was missing the tank and lower shelf. I had some extra shelving that I use in my garage that turned out to be a perfect fit for adding a 20# tank. I took the hose and fittings to a propane supply shop near me and had them make an 18" hose. I'm sure they would have made any length I needed so 6ft would have been no problem. They were able to reuse all the fittings, it was around $16. I keep an eye out on CL for a beat up performer that can be used as a parts donor. I'd like to return it back to original condition someday. The heavy tank and extra shelf make it cumbersome to wheel around. Good luck!

Original hose.

Shelving

All done

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
Thats a cool set up Jeff.