Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Avocado Weber Score!  (Read 8645 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Avocado Weber Score!
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »
So I've been down on my luck for several months. Jobs, clients, money, health, friends, family, and even grill finding.

But last week several of my bad luck zones really turned around!
I can't share all the details yet, but I'll share the latest.

On friday night, I spotted a 'cute sage green charcoal bbq grill' on the Los Angeles craigslist. It certainly looked like an avocado in the picture
It was already several days old, so I figured someone already swiped it up. I emailed anyway and got a near instant response that it was still available.

It was 62 miles away from my house and she was only available to let me pick it up on monday night (last night)

I drank a big bottle of pepsi on my bumpy and trafficky drive to Santa Monica. When I got to her apartment building I had to pee so bad I could barely walk.
It turned into an emergency very quickly and I was forced to whip it out and pee in the bushes outside. This was a crowded urban neighborhood, but it needed to be done.
Unfortunately, when some people started coming my way I had to rush my pee - squeezing and forcing it out like a pressure washer. This is when it went from bad to worse. A palm leave bent back from the pressure of my stream and created a bit of a U-turn ramp. It left me with a football sized wet spot on my shirt. So embarassing...

Anyway, here's the grill. It was missing its ash pan, and it seems to have a stubby handle (mounted upside down).
It's a patent pending.

More pics after the cleanup!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:47:14 AM by Troy »

SixZeroFour

Re: Avacado Weber Score!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
Nice score Troy!! Not many men would wet themselves for a grill - but considering it was a Cado it's completely understandable ;D ;) ;D

PS - I had no idea you had a glen blue (or a yeller!) - Outstanding Man! Is the backstory around somewhere?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »
The imperial has quite the story. It's pretty much the grill that started the WKC ;)

Not much story to the yellow - although it DID start out with me calling someone at 9:30pm just to be a jerk.
The seller posted the most ambiguous craigslist post ever and I was annoyed, so I ignored phone etiquette and called her late at night.
I started off a bit rude with the full intention to hang up when she said the grill was black.
When she said it was yellow I had to really flip things around and be nice. She wanted $37 for it. She gave me a tour of her house and yard and introduced me to all her family and dogs.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
Glad to see and hear it is turning around for you Troy. Nice score!!
May The Smoke Be With You!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Avocado Weber Score!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »
Great score, Troy!  Even better story.  :)

With a current windchill of -15℃, I would love to see some palm leaves right about now ...  :-\ :-\ ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
@Troy Glad to hear that your luck has turned.  What is the story on that all red WSMish cooker? 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
Great find there Troy - go with the small bottle of Pepsi next time.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
@Troy Glad to hear that your luck has turned.  What is the story on that all red WSMish cooker? 8)

Oh that's my Cajun Bandit conversion.
It's my dad's red weber that he used when I was a young kid. I tracked it down and acquired it. Then I converted it into a smoker :)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Cado?  Looks more like pee green to me💦

Congrats, nice score!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
troy here in texas its ( a hundred miles later we were at the  bbq restaurant )  it`s best to keep an old laundry detergent bottle  ( with removable insert ) in the car for such emergencies

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
troy here in texas its ( a hundred miles later we were at the  bbq restaurant )  it`s best to keep an old laundry detergent bottle  ( with removable insert ) in the car for such emergencies

funny. in my car that is currently broken down and un-driveable, I actually kept a special bottle as a 'just in case'
with LA traffic, you never know when a 10 minute trip is going to turn into 60 minutes of traffic

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Nice score!  I have heard never pee into the wind, but i have never heard of not peeing into a palm leaves!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
The Avacado (pee green) looks pretty decent.....a few bings, but nothing major......

Looks  like a nice counterpoint to the "WSMish cooker" !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »
That cado will bring back golden memories for years to come , congratulations Troy
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »
Congrats on the score @Troy ! When you take more pics, I'd love to see a closeup of that handle.