Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wings And Jerky Before The Snow Flies  (Read 3130 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Wings And Jerky Before The Snow Flies
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
Winter is in the air but wings and outside round are on sale.  So I am taking full advantage.

I sliced of all the fat from the meat then rubbed with a combo of salt, pepper, chili powders, sriracha powder, maple sugar, Montreal Steak Spice, garlic and onion powders.  Here it is after a night in the fridge:

Loaded up...I am using a elevated grate on the Blue.  @LightningBoldtz  was kind enough to give it to me.

Lid temps on the Kettles is in the 195f-210f range, making the grate temps about 40f or so less.  I am running a combo of lump and briquettes with rum oak barrel and pecan chunks.  I am gonna go about 2 hours then transfer to the oven to finish.  The wings are in a brine water, salt, molasses and cider vinegar brine.

Edit:

Jerky after a couple hours:

Into the oven at 175f with the door propped open an inch or so using a spoon:

My chicken in the molasses brine:

After removing the wings from the brine I dusted them with a rub supplied by @SixZeroFour....must say it complimented these wings beauty.  I used a Jumbo Joe and a 18 OTG to do the wings.  I cooked them offset for about 45 minutes with a vent temp on each at 425-450f.  I then moved the wings over the coals to finish. Here they are just before pulling:

The oven was full of jerky so when my wife came home with bread and brie I just tossed it on a Kettle:

The brie turned out amazing actually....the temperature and consistency of the cheese was bang on:

My plate:

The chicken was very tasty - the wife had 3rds.

Jerky is still going in the oven...probably another couple hours to go.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:14:56 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Wings And Jerky Before The Snow Flies
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Looks good, Hoss! 
Snow .... Yeah, already got some ... about 6-8" .... Won't see grass until sometime in April.  You got me hungry.  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:43:24 AM »
Looking great Hoss! And glad you enjoyed the rub! :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
Snow .... Yeah, already got some ... about 6-8" .... Won't see grass until sometime in April.

I am not mentally prepared for the white stuff and the bloody cold.  Getting too old here.

The jerky finished late last night.  Here it is this morning:

Smoke ring right the way through the beef:

I had meant to lightly glaze the jerky strips with maple syrup about an hour before it was done.  I fell asleep on the couch so that did not happen.  This is good product...bend but not break doneness, strong salt and pepper taste with garlic and onion tossed in.  Cannot detect the chili powders or sweetness from the maple sugar though.  What matters most is the smokey beefy flavour and this has it in spades.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Just had a sample come my way. Hoss was bang on in his explanation it was meaty, rich and beefy paired well with the barrel wood he used and a nice finish of onion and garlic. Good eats and well worth the effort making your own jerky.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
Dumb question, but does "outside round" go by any other name?  Id love to try this!

Oh, and I've got about 12" of the white stuff sitting outside right now =
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Dumb question, but does "outside round" go by any other name?  Id love to try this!

Oh, and I've got about 12" of the white stuff sitting outside right now =

Not a dumb question at all it is also knows as a bottom round. people will also make it with flank and london broil. the main thing is you want the least amount of fat as possible.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
what an amazing cook!!
nice work!!

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
Great pics. Love the lineup

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
Awesome looking stuff!!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Fantastic cook Hoss. I never tried jerky before. I might try some ground turkey jerky.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »
That jerky looks really good. Nice work.