Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Seasoning  (Read 12589 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Cast Iron Seasoning
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »
I recently got a 10" and 15" cast iron skillets. I need to season both of them and I recall people using their kettles to do this. Any instructions out there for this? I have never seasoned cast iron before. What's the most efficient way? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

dengland

• WKC Brave
Re: Cast Iron Seasoning
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »
Here is another great resource on many things cast iron.

http://www.castironcollector.com

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »
Strip all of the seasoning off first. You can burn it off in a self cleaning oven, or use electrolysis, or use lye/oven cleaner.

Once all the old seasoning and crud is off, use flaxseed oil to season.
1. buy flaxseed oil. its refrigerated and available at healthfood stores, whole foods, etc. Some grocery stores carry it as well.
2. apply thin coat of oil. use your hands.
3. wipe off oil with paper towel. you want the absolute thinnest coat of oil you can get.
4. stick in oven at 550 for an hour.
5. let cool.
6. repeat 2-5 five more times.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
I heartily endorse Troy's suggestions. 

If you want the science behind it, look here:  http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
One of the charcoal people.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely give Troy's method a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Once seasoned what tools do you use with your CI?
Plastic, metal or wood spatulas?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
I heartily endorse Troy's suggestions. 

If you want the science behind it, look here:  http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

You had to go and break out the science!
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
Nothing beats pure lard. Not the stuff you get at the store. Try to find real rendered pig fat.

It is what your grandmothers, granny used and is still the best.

Crisco will polymerize with the best of them.

Dont clean cast iron in a fire or the self cleaning cycle of your oven. That is a sure fire way to warp the pan and at worst crack it.

Electrolysis is fine if you want to make a home made battery. It has to be babysat but works well for rust removal.

A lye bath, with real lye will not harm CI and can be left soaking forever. Just dont touch it with bare hands or splash it in your eyes.

If you have a light rust, a quick 30 min soak in a vinegar bath will work wonders. Just dont forget about it. Vinegar will eat the pan.

The initial seasoning is the most critical. Start with a clean base. What ever you season with, start thin, really thin.

Once seasoned the 1st time, the best way to non stick nirvana is to cook eggs and cornbread.

I have an old #5 Griswold that is so slick a fly will bust its ass if he was to land on it. Nothing compares to the antique stuff.

Lodge and others you may have to do a few runs at seasoning. Not a big deal but I prefer to cook in my pans. Not spend the time seasoning.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely give Troy's method a shot.

Yes and read Sheryl's directions and caveats. Seasoning is in most cases RE-seasoning, not putting new oil over old. The pans you got are either used/hurt and need seasoning removal first, or recent/new Lodges that have some crud on them cleaning / seasoning have little to do with.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »
Once seasoned what tools do you use with your CI?
Plastic, metal or wood spatulas?

On the one slick CI pan I own, I use silicone or wood. A metal utensil doesn't help there; isn't needed. On the others that aren't as well seasoned so don't much care.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:41 AM »
Thanks ats
Here's two CI pans I use regularly
The first has a rougher finish and it seems to be losing its seasoning as there's more and more of a silver steel look to the pan and less black or seasoning the more I use it

The second has a much smoother finish almost like it has a coating

So do these both need to be reseasoned or seasoned properly?
What's the best way to clean them before I reseason?
Am I trying to remove the existing seasoning before I reseason?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 03:19:51 AM »

Thanks ats
Here's two CI pans I use regularly
The first has a rougher finish and it seems to be losing its seasoning as there's more and more of a silver steel look to the pan and less black or seasoning the more I use it

The second has a much smoother finish almost like it has a coating

So do these both need to be reseasoned or seasoned properly?
What's the best way to clean them before I reseason?
Am I trying to remove the existing seasoning before I reseason?

If you have roughness from particle build-up then it might be worth stripping the old seasoning off, if the roughness is just from the pan design it wont do much good to strip the old seasoning off. There are multiple ways to remove the old seasoning.

Self Cleaning Oven method

You stick your pan through a self clean cycle in the oven. This is a fast and effective way to remove the old seasoning but there is risk involved, there is a chance that the high temperatures involved could warp or crack the pans ( I personally have not had that issue with the cast iron that I have done by this method)

Lye bath

I use Easy Off Heavy Duty which main ingredient is lye. You place your cast iron in a trash bag and spray it with the Easy Off and leave it for a day to a few days depending on temperature (works better at higher ambient temps) then pull it out and wash it with a mild detergent and 0000 steel wool.

Electrolysis

This method can take up to a couple of weeks and is more involved so it is a lot to type but you can find some great tutorials and videos showing how to do it online.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:44:00 AM »
Hogsy, I can't answer definitively. I'm really no expert, just read a few things I still have my own questions for. Your CI is like mine: mostly "looks just fine" but doesn't satisfy.

The lingering question for me is about what I said earlier, taking all the old seasoning off instead of putting new over old. There's probably a reason why new seasoning doesn't adhere to "old" and that's why it's considered "best" to remove it all and start over.

My issue is that none of the 3 standard ways of removing seasoning appeals to me, so I have to get over that.

1) I have an oven with a self-cleaning mode I've never used. I don't *think* my CI would get damaged (I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, those stories of heat damage are mostly from throwing CI on blazing campfires or BBQs ...?) and then there's the ensuing stink in the kitchen or danger of catching fire in a locked oven? Don't want to buy a new oven that burned up at 900 degrees, warping my countertop too ... if that's a legit risk.

2) I'm adverse to burning skin but might don the proper gloves and mask go with lye/Easy Off even though it likely means more cleanup. I like the freedom to do that outside, away from anything.

3) I have one of those larger battery chargers but don't think I want to invest the time and effort constructing a bath station for this, especially if it's not something that cleans without days of effort? Some more folks here who do the electrolysis method might have more to say.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
1)I have an oven that has a self cleaning mode that kicks in every time you turn the oven off after use
Will this remove old seasoning? I highly doubt it but I'll try

2) I'll try this , still not sure what I'm trying to achieve

3) Electroloysis is for removing rust not seasoning, so I'm not sure what it will achieve

So my best bet is oven cleaner for a few days, I'll try it and report back
                            WKC Collaborator