Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Seasoning  (Read 12586 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cast Iron Seasoning
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »
That oven isn't what I'm used to. So, you turn it off and then it heats up to beyond what you had it set to? Self-cleaning ovens "work" by super-heating higher than you'd ever cook anything, from what I understand. That's why the door should auto lock, so someone doesn't open the blast furnace of heat. You might try putting an oven thermometer in there, like what you'd use on a grill (heh!) and see what the temp does during this cycle --- if it's "only" 500 or so degrees (F) (260 C) it might not really get hot enough to burn away seasoning. That's about where you'd want to be for seasoning, not unseasoning.

*still not sure what I'm trying to achieve*
With everything gone, all you have left is cast iron, which is dull gray. Scroll down here: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/perfect-popovers-and-how-to-clean-reseason-cast-iron/ but be advised that once you get down "bare metal" rust formation begins almost instantly even in normal air. Keep it as dry dry dry as you can and apply that first thin coat ASAP. At that point it'll be protected but not ready for use until you add more very thin layers/heat cycles.

For this reason, it's possible to begin seasoning a pan that's not entirely dry and actually lock rust in, under the seasoning. I believe Canter talked about warming the pan back up, about as warm as you can take holding it ... to thoroughly dry it and applying that first super-thin layer of oil.

The seasoning she referred to in that link was superseded by the link from above, http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
I used the electrolysis method to clean a Cook N Kettle last summer. Since I had the tub and wires, etc. set up I decided to also run a couple CI pans through the process. I just left them hanging in the bath overnight and they came out spotless. All rust and grease and everything was gone. You'll want to season them (or at least rub them down with oil) fairly soon afterwards, however, because the bare iron will begin to get a light layer of rust if left for long to the elements - especially if the air is quite humid. No big deal because its easy to just wipe it off, but the point is that the electrolysis process seemed to take everything off. And even if there were a bit of stuff left on the surface after electrolysis then I'd bet it could very easily be rubbed of with minimal effort with a pad of steel wool.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »
I've cleaned two of my pans with oven cleaner and they've come up
Perfect .... Now to reseason..... Do I need to let the pan cool before applying the oil?
Is there a way of telling whether I've applied enough coats of oil? Or once you get to 5 coats that's enough, also do all 5 coats need to be applied as thinly as the first?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »
When I've done it by way of grinding off & such (not electro or oven cleaner), I just started right in.....don't think it matters too much if it's warm & might even go better as whatever pores are in the metal will be opened up a smidge when you start......

Others may know much more about this though.....

As for number of coatings, get a few on there & see how it acts......the things seem to build up more & more with use as far as I've seen.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
I just recently bought a Griswold small logo #5 cast iron pan and tried seasoning it and failed miserably. I can't figure out what I did wrong? I didn't strip the old seasoning off using oven cleaner or in the oven like others mentioned but I did scrub it HARD with warm water and steel wool and it seemed completely clean and smooth. I then followed Sheryl's directions (even bought flax seed oil). It took me two days to go through the cycle of seasoning it 7 times (and a lot of complaining from my wife about the smell in the house). Finally it was ready to try and cook my morning eggs, I heated up the pan, added oil, then dumped in my eggs. They stuck instantly to the pan like cement. I even added more oil then you usually should to be safe. I was so frustrated. I have used it a few more times to try and make eggs and same thing, they stick like nobody's business. Was it because I didn't strip the pan with oven cleaner or in the oven prior to re-seasoning?

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
Quote: Finally it was ready to try and cook my morning eggs, I heated up the pan, added oil, then dumped in my eggs. They stuck instantly to the pan like cement. I even added more oil then you usually should to be safe. I was so frustrated. I have used it a few more times to try and make eggs and same thing, they stick like nobody's business.

Did you preheat the pan so that water drops sizzle?

What temp did you preheat to?

Eggs need no more then a med-low heat.  And make sure you preheat before adding oil.  Add oil, add eggs, leave until ready to flip (kind of like waiting for a steak so it doesn't stick to the grill), flip wait eat. 

Egg should gently sizzle in pan...no splattering. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
Gunner, might be too thick of a layer(s) of the seasoning oil.....then it ends up kinda 'sticky' like you're describing.....

My experience (not massive like some folks here) is to get the VERY minimum layer of oil & bake 'till it smokes  some & dries completely, then repeat......I would make this mistake in 'thinking' I was 'oiling' the pan, but then finally after a lot of errors, found that the oil is creating a hard base to then build upon......when I started thinking about it that way things went better......still no expert by any means, but the stuff I have works OK.............

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »

I've cleaned two of my pans with oven cleaner and they've come up
Perfect .... Now to reseason..... Do I need to let the pan cool before applying the oil?
Is there a way of telling whether I've applied enough coats of oil? Or once you get to 5 coats that's enough, also do all 5 coats need to be applied as thinly as the first?

I always do it when they are hot. As far as number of coats it is up to you, I try to do at least 3. The seasoning will continue to build with cooking on it.

I just recently bought a Griswold small logo #5 cast iron pan and tried seasoning it and failed miserably. I can't figure out what I did wrong? I didn't strip the old seasoning off using oven cleaner or in the oven like others mentioned but I did scrub it HARD with warm water and steel wool and it seemed completely clean and smooth. I then followed Sheryl's directions (even bought flax seed oil). It took me two days to go through the cycle of seasoning it 7 times (and a lot of complaining from my wife about the smell in the house). Finally it was ready to try and cook my morning eggs, I heated up the pan, added oil, then dumped in my eggs. They stuck instantly to the pan like cement. I even added more oil then you usually should to be safe. I was so frustrated. I have used it a few more times to try and make eggs and same thing, they stick like nobody's business. Was it because I didn't strip the pan with oven cleaner or in the oven prior to re-seasoning?

I haven't tried flax seed oil yet so I can't really speak to it but you might try stripping the seasoning and trying lard or shortening and see if you get the same results. I wouldn't think it would be from your previous cleaning method but I am no expert on the subject.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »
That's not what I wanted to hear gunner
After applying 2 thin coats of flax seed oil there is no real difference to the surface of the pans
Oh well I'll keep going I guess
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
When you say smokes some @buckie will there be much smoke?
I've got the oven on high but I'm not getting any smoke
I apply the oil then wipe of with paper towel. Maybe I'm not leaving enough oil in the pan?
                            WKC Collaborator

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
naw, it's just some wispy blueish smoulder....doesn't last long, like the extra burning off......kinda like BBQ thin blue from what I know.......I usually do them on the the gas burner outdoors so I can make whatever mess & stink I want w/o repercussions.....

I wouldn't be concerned with not enough, usually the trouble comes from too much on each layer as far as I know......we need even more experts in here as I've not done a ton of this & don't want to be dishin' up falsehoods here !!!!

I know @Winz has a bunch & there's some other folks too.....

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »
I'll keep going with it, after cleaning another pan and comparing the two there is a difference between one with a coat of oil and one without
When I take a pan from the hot oven and apply some oil , it smokes straight away.....I think I'm doing it right
                            WKC Collaborator

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
Yes, my understanding, ASSUMING everything came off during the "unseasoning" step ... is multiple very thin coats at heat high enough to smoke it off. Can't rush it by only doing a few applications nor thick applications.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
make sure to use thin coat (flaxseed oil is best)

the thinner the better.
thick coats will be tacky and sticky and are easily chipped off.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
Yeah, sounds like you're getting it Joel.....check back in & let us know...... 8)