Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Slightly Different Take On Ribs  (Read 2545 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
A Slightly Different Take On Ribs
« on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
I decided to do ribs today and wanted to keep the coals off the backside of my Lime 74/75 kettle.  It occurred to me that the charcoal grate from my 22.5 WSM would do the trick:

I did a snake on the inside of the ring with foil under where the ribs are.  This will be my 2nd cook with Peach...the first was burnt ends.  I bloody love this Kettle.

I coated the rack lightly in grape seed oil then did a rub of lowry's, bad byrons butt rub, 2 kinds of chili powder, some mango/chipotle powder and some paprika.  After a couple hours in the fridge and some time at room temp:

I get to use the grill mat my wife gave me for my birthday:

Temp at the lid is between 300-325f.  I added water to a pan next to the coals after the bark was formed and am spritzing with a combo of water and lime juice every once in a while.

I will ad some shots when the cook finishes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:30:35 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Slightly Different Take On Ribs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Why not put the coals outside the ring, it be easier to line them up in a circular fashion.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
Why not put the coals outside the ring, it be easier to line them up in a circular fashion.

Z......tryin' to keep the heat off the wall of the kettle so it will last forever........the banking makes it somewhat more likely to eventually get those porcelain 'pops' from the heat......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
Z......tryin' to keep the heat off the wall of the kettle so it will last forever........the banking makes it somewhat more likely to eventually get those porcelain 'pops' from the heat......

Exactly.  Thanks Buckie.  My first kettle came with a smokenator.  I used that thing about 20 times before coming to the conclusion that have the coals banked against the edge was bad for the kettle.  That kettle is still whacked.  Some folks swear by those things but me....I swear about them.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
Thanks 1buckie,
I can see that would be a concern especially with a rare kettle like MrHoss’. I’ve been banking coals against my kettles walls for years and never had that happened…yet.
It’s not a major concern for me though, since I don’t have any collectables. These grills last for many years and I get my money’s worth out of them :) So I don’t mind getting a new one every once in a while, it’s an awesome feeling assembling a brand new kettle :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
It seems to happen more often on the older color kettles......colors are layered over black & (just a theory) I think the adhesion of the built up layers contributes some to that.....

I won't bank on the nicer, older ones, but even my old Blackies like "Bob" haven't suffered even with many many banked cooks & high heat.....probably a good idea to just use a less than 15 year old black one for higher heat & banking up coals, I would guess......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
Hoss - great cook and VERY NICE kettle!  That shot with the mat is screen saver worthy.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
Foods done.  No foil.  A little over 5 hours in I sauce with a cider vinegar spiked Teagues blend and keep it in for another half hour or so:

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
I just had a sample. Dam good Rib. I think my favorite non foiled rib mrHoss has brought my way. Strong taste of pecan with a nice bark on it and the flavor of the rub came through well. Plenty juicy and he came over with a little extra sauce to brush on. Thanks as always for the sample Hoss.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
For @Winz - a lid shot in the same light.  I flippin' love this Kettle....have I said that before?

I'd rub it with a diaper but I'm afraid that might be too abrasive.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
I am not prone to kettle envy, but that is Weber perfection.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Nice to see she's a cooker and a looker.  ;)  Ribs look outstanding.  :D

I honestly don't think that banking the snake will be an issue with this kettle, or any kettle.
A snake usually only has at most 8-12 briquets lit at one time ... maybe less. Not exactly sure.  ??? :P :-X
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
Awesome looking ribs!!!
Those are competition worthy ribs, just beautiful :)