Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maverick 733: Should I be seeing 6-8 degrees difference between the probes ...  (Read 1359 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... at room temp?

New Maverick owner here. It'll be a few days before I can get out and cook. But I put the batteries in and turned on the sending unit with the probes just sitting on the kitchen table. They don't register the same.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
I don't think so. I know in the past I have been getting things ready to smoke and with my 732 on in the kitchen and they read the same temp.

SixZeroFour

They should both be reading the same, try switching cables and see if it switches sides...
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It doesn't. Port 1 always reads higher than Port 2. Currently settled to a 5 degree difference but I've seen swings of 9-10 degrees.

I'll email them and see what they say. I may borrow the neighbor's 732 transmitter. Appears to be the same unit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

That's really strange as that seems to indicate that it's not the probes... Have you tried pulling the batteries to reset so to speak?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Chuck

• WKC Brave
I seem to recall mine did that initially. Its gone away so I thought it was just an oddity.

Try a boiling water calibration test. See if the difference is similar at a higher temp.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Yep, I was surmising that at room temperatures and/or ambient air ... it's probably not designed for that.

So yes, with a helper we each immersed a probe in about an inch or so of water (careful not to touch the bottom of the pot) and watched the water boil. It's NOT true what they say, a watched pot CAN boil; it's about as exciting as watching grass grow however.

As the water got hot the readings got closer. They never touched on the same number until about 180 or so. Both held at 212 F, as expected, but the one side that always read higher did ping 214 before we ended the 'speriment.

So I'm no longer concerned.

Speaking of tests, I just also picked up an oven thermometer, the Taylor TruTemp from Target, http://www.target.com/p/taylor-trutemp-oven-and-grill-thermometer/-/A-11010614#prodSlot=medium_1_1&tempterm=taylor+oven+thermometer and it was spot-on at 212 degrees F.