Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It's on like Donkey Kong. Turds, Butt & Spuds (and of course bacon and cheese)  (Read 3028 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
That is one sweet looking performer!

If you want milder turds, cut them in half so you can really scrape all the seeds and ribs out.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

eccj

• WKC Brave
I think some of the jalapeno seeds might have still been in them!

SixZeroFour

Cheers Winz, she's no Bisbee but a pretty nice example of an SS :)

Thanks all for the tips, I thought I got all the seeds but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the ribs - will try halving them next time and gutting completely. The tandori spice and the cream cheese was awesome!

... Now just waiting on the butt. Prob a good few hours until I actually get a taste ;)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

Time to stick the potatoes in the skillet - I'm planning on making a potato skin type of idea with these to go with the pork :) Had some bacon and grease leftover so why not... in the last shot they are really sizzlin' in the bacon grease  8)

SixZeroFour

And all that wait was well worth it!! I used some Root Beer BBQ sauce and it was delicious! I really wish my stomach was bigger right now :)

Potatoes came out great as well!! I scoured the face of each in hopes it would soak in a bit of the bacon grease then afterwards melted the cheddar cheese on right at the end. Real tasty!

And the Pretzel Bun... What can be said of such a glorious piece of dough that hasn't already been said?!? Crazy good!

Thanks for following along guys and have a good night :)

Matt

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"I really wish my stomach was bigger right now :)"

Stand up....you can fit more in..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
OK, so the turds were really good!! but I am still baffled by one thing... 5 of the 8 turds were just "regular" but the other 3 were like inferno hot. I like me some spicy food but this was make me sweat under the eyes and down some milk hot! AND it's happened both times I have attempted them.

Is there normally that much variance in heat from one pepper to the next??

The only real outward indicator is really hot ones will have little dried striations running along the length.....kinda dry, crusty brown, thin strips.....that means they've been on the plant an extra long time & are juiced up...................

If you decide to whimp, do like Winz says & you can even soak them in Sprite (soda pop) for a few hours & that will bring the heat way down..............
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:16:29 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
I'm not the best at explaining, but will give it a shot. Your heat is not from the seed, the seed left behind has capsicum on it, because the blister/placenta has been pierced. Hence all peppers have a blisters where the capsicum is stored. So in the cleaning process, all the blisters are being opened up and releasing the heat. For a test, take a small bite off the very tip of the pepper, there will be little to know heat. Take a larger bite and you will be sweating below your eyes... Grab the milk and soda crackers!!! I can't find a decent picture on the inter-web to show the blisters, but once had a book with a magnified example. Think of a water blister burn we all have had and multiply that by thousands, that is what is on the inside of the pepper.

604, thanks for the shot of the Sleeman's Cream Ale... Jealous we don't have that here.

SixZeroFour

I'm not the best at explaining, but will give it a shot. Your heat is not from the seed, the seed left behind has capsicum on it, because the blister/placenta has been pierced. Hence all peppers have a blisters where the capsicum is stored. So in the cleaning process, all the blisters are being opened up and releasing the heat. For a test, take a small bite off the very tip of the pepper, there will be little to know heat. Take a larger bite and you will be sweating below your eyes... Grab the milk and soda crackers!!! I can't find a decent picture on the inter-web to show the blisters, but once had a book with a magnified example. Think of a water blister burn we all have had and multiply that by thousands, that is what is on the inside of the pepper.

604, thanks for the shot of the Sleeman's Cream Ale... Jealous we don't have that here.

Thanks for this Greg and everyone else as well, that helps clear things up a bit - I think my problem was that I just popped the tops off and cored out seeds and didn't really worry about much else. Will try the split and stuff technique next time.

My beer was a Sleeman's Honey Brown but I do love the Cream Ale as well! They have a few real nice beers! I should try and ship a Cream ale or two down to you ;)

"I really wish my stomach was bigger right now :)"

Stand up....you can fit more in..............

lol, that was after standing, jumping, and force feeding down my mouth  ;)

Taz

• WKC Brave
usually burn more than that just getting set up................

LOL!  Good one Buckie!

Craig

• WKC Mod
And.... I'm hungry again!