Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Knives  (Read 13383 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Knives
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »
Hi guys,

I like to learn, so I hope I am not starting too many topics.  I thought maybe it would be interesting to have some dialogue going on knives.

As a beginner to really cooking on a grill, I am interested to see what you guys would recommend as far as a good set of knives for me to consider (as in types of knives, and a good brand to check out).  I know I don't need to buy the usual kind of sets that come with steak knives, so it's maybe more of a piece by piece, gradual purchase of a few good knives of different purposes.

I know I would like to have something to maybe trim briskets, spatchcock chickens (scissors sucked when I tried them), etc.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully this might be a useful topic to several of us on here.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Knives
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »
What is your price range? 

I LOVE spatchcocking my chickens with kitchen scissors.  Seems like when I use a knife I always almost lose a finger. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
Hmm, price range...depends on how I acquire them.  If I can order a knife or two at a time, I can afford better stuff.  One thing my wife warned me though is, if you don't or can't sharpen them, it really doesn't matter which knife or how much.  So that's a whole other thread lol

Anyway, I guess if there were a hypothetical situation where I needed 5 different kinds of knives, I can see paying up to $20 each for them, and just buying them as I can.

I guess maybe my scissors aren't the best.  It was very hard for me to cut along the backbone with my so called kitchen scissors!

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
Try Ontario scissors you won’t be disappointed. The knife discussion really opens things up. Personal preference use etc… I like Victorinox with plastic handles. They make a wide variety of styles and price range, handle different types and sizes and see what feels good. A good slicer, paring, boning and a couple of others should set you up. These should be in your price range, try a kitchen supply shop.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:15:05 PM by masonred »

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
I bought some Henckels at Target a couple years .  They work well for me. 

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
[quote author=namtrag link=topic=13417.msg133731#msg133731 date=1413237671

I guess maybe my scissors aren't the best.  It was very hard for me to cut along the backbone with my so called kitchen scissors!
[/quote]

That backbone can be tricky!  Have to get tight along it....and then it just slides through.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:26:09 PM by Cookingmama »

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
 I have a pair of Batil scissors and they do a number on chickens. Wicked! Knives, I have Victorianox, Zwilling-Henckel, Mundial. I  have a Work Shop Ken Onion knife  sharpener. Good stuff.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
One of the first questions to answer is "european or asian"  The bevels  are different as well.  The European blades are, in general, heavier.  Some like the heft, others appreciate a lighter blade.

I started with a nice Wusthof set.  Great knives - I still have the bread knife.  After much tinkering and testing, I finally settled on MAC knives.  They have a shallower bevel, are wickedly sharp, are slightly lighter than Wustof, and most importantly, fit my hand well.  If you do a lot of cutting per session, fit and weight will make a difference. 
You can buy most knives one at a time.  I recommend (in order) 8 or 10 inch chef knife, paring knife, bread (serrated blade), and utility knife.  After that, its all personal preference. 

Winz

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:05:14 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »
[quote author=namtrag link=topic=13417.msg133731#msg133731 date=1413237671

That backbone can be tricky!  Have to get tight along it....and then it just slides through.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was off track and ended up going even further off as I cut! 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
Try Ontario scissors you won’t be disappointed. The knife discussion really opens things up. Personal preference use etc… I like Victorinox with plastic handles. They make a wide variety of styles and price range, handle different types and sizes and see what feels good. A good slicer, paring, boning and a couple of others should set you up. These should be in your price range, try a kitchen supply shop.

Thanks, Red!  I have a kitchen store in the shopping center where I work. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
I have a pair of Batil scissors and they do a number on chickens. Wicked! Knives, I have Victorianox, Zwilling-Henckel, Mundial. I  have a Work Shop Ken Onion knife  sharpener. Good stuff.

Will take a look at these as well, thanks.

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
I have Shun knives.  Just get what you need...I'm most cases like Winz says, you only need a base set of 3-4 knives, then build on that.  I love the added sharpness and lightness of the Japanese knives...I've had some German knives, hefty knives

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
Winz and Coldkettle, thanks for more info, now I have a great list of knives to look at.  This is a great thread

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
If you don't have sharp knives currently, your will be impressed with new knives..

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
building upon what some have already posted, here is my input. I have many knives(most passed down to me), but (aside from steak/butter knives) only use a few regularly. one of my favorites is an old butcher knife(pretty much this w/a utilitarian handle and darkened blade(common for old quality knives)https://www.google.com/search?q=butcher+knife&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6og8VJHiH82wyASKm4CQDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1474&bih=955#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xEHwsiSDOo8r_M%253A%3Blt_vtJADwTQpXM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.knifecenter.com%252Fthumb%252F1500x1500%252Fknifecenter%252Fontario%252Fimages%252FOH77.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.knifecenter.com%252Fitem%252FOH77%252FOld-Hickory-Butcher-Knife-7-inch-Carbon-Steel-Blade%3B804%3B407) that was my grandfather's. it isn't fancy, but it holds an edge well and I've used it for a variety of tasks that range from slicing steaks off a roast to separating a roasted chicken. next is a "forever sharp" branded paring knife my mom gave me that I use for delicate/detail work. I also have an old filet knife(that was also my grandfather's) w/a blackened/darkened blade that I use for trimming fat off large cuts of meat or deboning the rear quarters of a deer. last on the list is an old forschner chef's knife(handed down from mom) that I use for cutting up large/bundles of vegetables.

all that in mind, imo-you don't need the whiz-bang super ultra knife designed for one purpose. find a few decent knives that will do what you need done and leave the knife sets for those that want a counter decoration.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank