Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Project(s) - your help, advice, suggestions welcomed & appreciated...  (Read 6550 times)

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
Background: A friend of a friend has an old avocado.   I have let friend of friend know that if he ever wanted to part with it, I'd be interested, sight unseen.  Well, yesterday, I took part in a small, local rib cookoff.  My friend (not to be confused with friend of friend) was also there.  Late in the afternoon, he comes around to where I was set up and says he needed to show me something.  There was friend of friend, parked in the middle of the street.  Not only does he have the partially disassembled 'cado in the bed of his truck, but an old brownie as well.  Friend of friend and I finally meet, shake hands and choot the chit for a minute.  Then he drops the bombshell:  He's giving both to me, with the understanding that once both are rehabbed, I'll give one to our mutual friend. 

I hope that all made sense.

OK,  Heres some pictures...

This is where I hope you guys come in.  To be honest, I'm not exactly Bob Vila with the tools.  I don't mind scrubbing, working hard, etc, or even buying new parts to install, but I'm not sure about a couple things...

Both kettles are missing one bottom vent dial.  Are these sold?  readily available? 
Between the two, there's two serviceable wheels.  Will new wheels fit?  will that take away the look?

Also, I'm open to suggestions.  Please feel free to offer your two cents.  Thanks!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
That's a boobie not a brownie!!! Nice find indeed.  That's a very difficult decision to make. I don't envy you.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Yep, that brownie is actually a Chestnut-Copperton. AKA "The Estate".  Rare find and looks to be in good shape.  Two great grills!

Yes, you can still buy the new vents from Weber.  It might be worth it to see if anyone has an older "small tab" one they can hook you up with.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:12:46 PM by MaxBobcat »

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
The Estate!  Love it!  I feel like quite the aristocrat. 

Thanks for the ID, MaxBobcat.  Is it safe to assume both are from the late 1960s?

Troy

• Statesman
those are some old grills!!

@G or @harris92 or @zavod44 might have some donor vents with the smaller holes and small tabs

SixZeroFour

Stu those are outstanding finds! I'm sure if you post in the WTB forum someone out there can help out with at least some old(er) rubber wheels as opposed to the latest plastic ones. Hang onto the other original wheel hubs as well - they could be salvaged and restored or saved for another project down the road.

Congrats man, epic find!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
envy Envy ENVY

I wish I had such friends 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
An update on the wheels...

Like I said, only two of the four are salvageable in my opinion.  The rust came off pretty well.  Some black spray paint should have 'em looking good.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
To fix the tread, it might be possible to get a V Bet with a groove from an auto parts store, cut it down and glue it to the wheel. Maybe some black silicone?
Used wheels rarely come along.
You can buy replacement vents from Weber. They will have the large tab. You might be able to cut them down to match the old look of the small tab.
Contact Zavod for new age correct handles.
The triangle can be updated with a newer one or wire wheel and maybe a repaint?
Can't wait to see the end results..
AJ
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

SixZeroFour

^ Great advice - Don't give up on those wheels!

And here are some tips on the triangle 8) I bet you'd have some good success with yours based on the pics Stu.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: New Project(s) - your help, advice, suggestions welcomed & appreciated...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Great job so far! It all depends? Do the both have to be original? Does your friend have a preference of which grill? One could be all original and the other notl. They will both function and to many they would not know one is not original and would still be an awesome piece of history.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »
I have a nice set of metal wheels Stu.   No need to buy.  Just trade me the set you are not using.  We will call it a trade in  LOL. I would like to tinker with them.   It will probably be next week before I can get it out to you.  Just shoot me a PM.    :)

@Stu Clary
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:04:02 AM by harris92 »

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »
I have a nice set of metal wheels Stu.   No need to buy.  Just trade me the set you are not using.  We will call it a trade in  LOL. I would like to tinker with them.   It will probably be next week before I can get it out to you.  Just shoot me a PM.    :)

@Stu Clary

That's awesome.  Thank you.  PM on it's way.

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Update:  Getting there.

Not quite done, but we're definitely in the home stretch.  More pictures to follow.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 04:22:41 AM »
i'm so jealous.  i can't even walk around in my workspace.   :-[

coming along nicely though!  looking good! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.