Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Freezing 'turds  (Read 1693 times)

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
Freezing 'turds
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
Anyone have success freezing 'turds (with cream cheese filling) before cooking? 
Or for that matter, after smoking?  We made them for a friend last month (they loved them!) and I think he wants to prep a few hundred for football season.  :D

Our's never last long enough to make it to the freezer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:59:58 PM by rivercityjeff »
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Freezing 'turds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
Always have turned the texture of the pepper mushy when I've tested out freezing things like that.......After cooking MIGHT go a little better......

@MacEggs  has had some luck with this stuff as I recall.....maybe he'll have some better insight....
 I'll just make up big batches a few days ahead, as they stay uncooked & well chilled pretty good, then just cook twice as many as you think you'll need....you know the drill............. 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Always have turned the texture of the pepper mushy when I've tested out freezing things like that.......After cooking MIGHT go a little better......

@MacEggs  has had some luck with this stuff as I recall.....maybe he'll have some better insight....
 I'll just make up big batches a few days ahead, as they stay uncooked & well chilled pretty good, then just cook twice as many as you think you'll need....you know the drill............. 8)

Hmmmm .... I don't recall that .....

My experience with peppers is that they get mushy when thawed after freezing .... just as Ken (1buckie) mentioned.
Not so bad if you're making hot sauce or something along those lines ...

I have, however, pre-made or pre-assembled a bunch of 'turds the day before to help save on time.
Keep refrigerated.  It helps a bunch the day of a big cook.  :D 8)

I have never frozen turds after smoking ... no real reason for that.  Some might linger in the fridge ... but, really ...  :o ;D ::) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
I have frozen them before cooking and don't really think their any softer than doing them fresh. When you grill them the pepper gets soft anyway. I have about 75 in the freezer now.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
Any peppers I have frozen have been unusable when thawed. I don't know that that would change if they were assembled.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their input.   
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200