Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Project Wapiti  (Read 5147 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Project Wapiti
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
For drilling stainless steel you want a good bimetal bit, like Lawson's silver and demming bits. Most bits are good for all propose use and come with a 118° drill point. For SS metal especially food grade SS metal that is very low in carbon making it very hard you want you drill point at 135° to 140°. Also adding a second angle on the backside helps relieve how much is in contact of the drill point at all times thus cooling the bit and metal work piece. I personally like to go with a 135° point and 12° relief angle. Using a cutting oil is also recommend,  I like marvel mystery oil myself. Then when performing actual drilling do not constantly drill till through the work piece pull drill trigger and allow to come to full speed then let completely of trigger and let bit come to rest. Then over and over again while applying cutting oil. Another drill bit to consider is a split point bit with the same angles. I used to fabricate SS food grade processing equipment and learned a lot about cutting machining and drilling SS metals. 

Hope this helps.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words. It was a fun project (except for the drilling)

Jmeier64 - yes, that is the pot. No, I would not even think of cutting a door. No need.

Mikey - perfect!  Something tells me you can't get those bits at Home Depot. Will look into ordering them.

Winz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words. It was a fun project (except for the drilling)

Jmeier64 - yes, that is the pot. No, I would not even think of cutting a door. No need.

Mikey - perfect!  Something tells me you can't get those bits at Home Depot. Will look into ordering them.

Winz

Yeah those bits are available through Lawson only but there are other good high tensile bimetal bits out there. It is just getting the point angle right, that's the hard thing to find in out of the box bits.

Also my hat is off to you on bagging a Coues whitetail.  I have been 3 times and have yet to get one.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
Winz beautiful job.

FYI the tamarack are turning yellow and the Elk are bugling , the son and I are heading up in the morning, it's been hot and the elk a little late on the bugle around here but any day now :)
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
Mikey - keep at it. Chiricahuas?

Idahawk - best of luck!

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
Winz- Bowie, AZ north of it unit 28. Which is north Chiricahuas. Next year might try a hunt for them in central AZ. Had a coworker take one in that area.  Plus it is closer to home and I could easily do it on a day off, few of which I get. I haven't even went out for dove this year.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »
That is great work, well done!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
As always. Outstanding mod. You are one of the best innovators.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »
Great project Winz!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.