Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nomex Gasket Questions  (Read 7515 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Nomex Gasket Questions
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »
So I am thinking of getting some of that Nomex Gasket stuff and am wondering on a couple things.  What size should I get to fit the lid of a kettle?  There is 1/2 inch as well as 3/4 and full inch sizes.  There are self adhesive types as well as the ones that require laying a bead of gel adhesive down - Which is better?  Has anyone has any experience removing the gel adhesive ....wondering if it damages the inner lip of the lid in any way?

Most of my kettles need sealing up and my WSM door definately does.  I have 3 kettles that need tin foil over the cooking grate to put out the coals with all vents shut down.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Nomex Gasket Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Hoss, have you checked if your bowl and lid are round? In general the kettles seal at the lip as long as it's round/flat. You can use a tape measure to take various diameter measurements and bend it back accordingly. Search for "bear hug" to see what others have done. Either way I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:25 PM »
Good question Hoss, I just acquired an 18.5 DZ code WSM and
was thinking of sealing it up this way once I've cleaned it up..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »
gasket seems pretty drastic to me.....are the lid(s) out of round & leaking air?

Maybe start with some gentle bear hugs to re-fit them?

I don't know......suppose it might be best to get the wide stuff & go over the whole lip of the bowl if you were to do it.....a little inside, over the lip to the outside...make sense how I'm describing it?

I just refrain from cleaning the top edge of the bell & the inner rim of the lid & let the good gunk build up there to seal better..........then also try to keep the vents in good enough shape to close down fairly well.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »
Most of my cookers are gunked up pretty good.  I have been able to hug a few lids into proper shape but I have have some that do not put the coals out.  I did do a search here on topics and found reference to measuring the gap on the lid, finding the wide spot and hugging the lid there.  Gonna try this but I see a need for this Nomex stuff....especially to seal up my new Rotisserie and the WSM.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:14 AM »
Most of my cookers are gunked up pretty good.  I have been able to hug a few lids into proper shape but I have have some that do not put the coals out.  I did do a search here on topics and found reference to measuring the gap on the lid, finding the wide spot and hugging the lid there.  Gonna try this but I see a need for this Nomex stuff....especially to seal up my new Rotisserie and the WSM.

Hoss, I'll check them when cold by just feeling around the underside of the lid......not always, but most times you can tell where things are off.........

I've also got a few that are a bit finicky when it comes to shutdown.....not always clear to me that's the issue, but if it just won't fix, maybe that Nomex is worth a try......getting the WSM working right, you'd be getting some anyway......
This might could be a good 'report back' type thing so folks know what can benefit..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks Buckie.  I will report back, but it will be a couple weeks or so till I can get my hands on some of this stuff.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
i wouldn't bother with nomex on your grills. I put it on my performer when I was a newb.
Eventually it got so gunked and curled up that I could barely put the lid on and removing the nasty, burnt nomex was a pain in the butt.

get them back to round and do some cooking, they'll seal up.
I learned some tricks while doing a few reconditions, i'll try to write up a guide for you :)

on the wsm, sure if the leaks are hindering performance.
I'd personally just upgrade to the cajun bandit door before doing the nomex.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
I think Gary S from the TVWBB used Nomex on his custom 26 lid.
He's a stickler for temperature control, so, I guess that's why he did it.  ???

I am with Troy on this ... Wouldn't bother on a kettle. Maybe a WSM. Ultimately ... It's your choice.  :D

I just got a hold of Gary, and he said:

"The Nomex is a peel and stick, it's about 1/2" in width and I got mine from Justin at BBQ gaskets.com"

A pic courtesy of Gary:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:27:11 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:33 AM »
I have a nomex gasket kit on my big WSM.  It works VERY well for sealing things up, and I'm happy that I did it.  That being said, I would never go through the trouble of putting one on a standard kettle.  It could be done easy enough, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.
-Keith