Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Peach Gets A Little Work  (Read 1928 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Peach Gets A Little Work
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
Got a wonderful Lime MBH from Lightningboltz...hopefully I don't mess this up.  I asked for advice on refinishing this handle and had bought some Teak Oil Finish.  I was told cleaning the handle with Zippo fluid would let me know what the handle finished in Teak Oil would look like.  I did this and found it not dark enough.  So I changed plans.  Zavod likes the Satin Spar so that is what I am going to go with....on top of stain.

Handle the way I got it:

Lime handle after being  whiped a cloth with some Zippo lighter fluid , (substitute for naphtha cleaner which I cannot get in Canada) and handles from a 1999 black 3 wheeler:

After a cleaning with more Zippo on all handles:

After sanding - first with 120 then 150 and finally 180.  I was carefull to keep the paper flat on the top sides of the newer handles so as to not sand down the markings:

After sanding I wipped down the handles again with Zippo fluid.  I used Minwax Wood Finish Red Mahogany on the newer handles and Varathane Wood Stain American Walnut on Peach.  In the few minutes after application but before I wiped off the excess I added a little Red Mahogany on top of the American Walnut...just a little.  Then I wiped off the excess.  Here is the handles outside about 5 hours after application:

I am gonna try and keep the original triangle.  Not sure if I can get all the rust off of it but I am trying.  This is after about 15 minutes with fine steel wool and soap/water:

Gonna do the legs and clean up the wheels and anything else I can think of while I am at it.  I will update as I go.  The handles with get 3 coats of  Satin Spar with a 220 grit light sanding in between the coats.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

Re: Peach Gets A Little Work
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
I am gonna try and keep the original triangle.  Not sure if I can get all the rust off of it but I am trying.  This is after about 15 minutes with fine steel wool and soap/water:

Excellent work Hoss!

For the triangle, one of these is a must ;) ... then #0000

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
Dynamite job on those handles, man !!!!!

Way, way nice !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »
looking good!

also, you just use the lighter fluid after the sanding to clear the dust and wood particles off the handle before finish is applied.  i probably confused you.  that way you don't get little bumps of dust in the finish.

the dark handle really makes the lime pop! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
I have had good results on rusted triangles using CLR and a brass brush..
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
...  I am gonna try and keep the original triangle.  Not sure if I can get all the rust off of it but I am trying.  This is after about 15 minutes with fine steel wool and soap/water.  ...

I've done maybe about fifteen to eighteen of these since February and have really got the process down. I now start by spraying the rust with WD40, then wire-brush the heck out of it, and then finish it off with 0000 steel wool dampened with more WD40. (0000 only because that's what I've got lying around for use on the enamel. I'm sure courser stuff would be okay for this.) I originally used a small wood handled wire brush from the hardware store but have since discovered that it's MUCH faster and more effective to use a wire wheel on a cordless drill. I believe the wire wheel I use is rated as a 'light' or 'soft' version (that is, not medium or not firm/stiff, or whatever - if you even have a choice). I can complete a really rusty triangle in less than 15 minutes and the results are fantastic. The wire brush will get most of the rust out of the hard-to-reach areas around the triangle wire intersections. The only time the final result was less than beautiful was with one that was already extremely pitted (metal actually eaten away) from the rust.
At first I was a bit concerned about over-doing it with the wire wheel but I tested it on a couple of lesser important projects and it has not been a problem.
Judging by the picture of your triangle, I'm certain you can clean that up in a very short time and swear you're looking at a near-new item! :-)
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:13:07 PM »
A few hours after the second coat of Satin Spar:

I just put the 3rd coat on.  Hopefully these babies will be cured enough for me to use them for a big cook I have Sunday.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
Nice job on those handles. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
Peach Gets A Little Work
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
Looking good! I really like the dark finish against the lime green.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
Nice looking Lime! the handle looks pretty good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
The handles are done:

I did not have time to do all I wanted to the Lime...I still have to finish off the triangle but I cleaned the legs, wheels and replaced the hubcaps.

The other wood handles I did at the same time...this looks like I have a flash on, I don't, the sun is right overhead:

The black with the handles back on:

The handles got 3 coats of satin Spar.  I can see where I could have done better, (and will next time), but these still look good to my eyes.....and I did not ruin them.  Especially that Lime.  If I had messed that up I think Lightningboltz would have been unhappy.  Hoss would not want that at all.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
I was outside after posting those pictures and realized the Lime was missing her ash catcher.  Fixed...I am seasoning all but the black on the end with fat trimmings from the supermarket. I have a big cook tomorrow - 25 people or so with burnt ends, chicken wings and ham going on the cookers.  Of all the Webers I plan on bringing out Peach ought to steal the show:

I will be using Peach as a smoker ONLY to be kept indoors when not in use:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:28:19 AM by MrHoss »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
Both the handles and your collection are looking amazing Hoss!! Great job!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
they look amazing!  great job on the handles!

Party Train! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Amazing job Hoss!