Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Closer Look: Marty's AMAZING photo recreation from the eCook!  (Read 2985 times)

SixZeroFour

Closer Look: Marty's AMAZING photo recreation from the eCook!
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
In all the commotion of the eCook earlier this month winners were chosen for 2 of the event prizes - one of those winners was Marty with his amazing recreation of a classic vintage Weber cookbook photo. It was a well deserved win and just an all round awesome idea and cook.

In the few days after the event I kept popping back to the live feed post to look at the picture and kept thinking to myself "Man, that looks REALLY close to the original." Curiosity got the better of me so I dug up a copy of the original ad to compare and this is when my mind was truly blown!!!

Take a real close look at just how detailed his re-creation is!! Even the peppers are cut to mimic the original shot.  :o Simply outstanding work @MartyG8)

What other details can you spot?

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
Re: Closer Look: Marty's AMAZING photo recreation from the eCook!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
That is a sweet recreation! 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
In all the commotion of the eCook earlier this month winners were chosen for 2 of the event prizes - one of those winners was Marty with his amazing recreation of a classic vintage Weber cookbook photo. It was a well deserved win and just an all round awesome idea and cook.

In the few days after the event I kept popping back to the live feed post to look at the picture and kept thinking to myself "Man, that looks REALLY close to the original." Curiosity got the better of me so I dug up a copy of the original ad to compare and this is when my mind was truly blown!!!

Take a real close look at just how detailed his re-creation is!! Even the peppers are cut to mimic the original shot.  :o Simply outstanding work @MartyG8)

Probably obvious, but the number of each ingredient is exactly the same as well.
What other details can you spot?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
Nice job again, @MartyG  and thanks for posting this again @SixZeroFour

This is from the 1972 "The Weber Covered Way" yes? I need to dig through my drawers to find my copies again..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »

This is from the 1972 "The Weber Covered Way" yes? I need to dig through my drawers to find my copies again..
I have a copy if you can't find yours. ;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »

I have a copy if you can't find yours. ;)

Thanks, but I think my 3 copies are in my sock drawer....  :o  :-[

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
sorry but the mushrooms on skewer no1 are around the wrong way   :o :P

outstanding fucking work marty
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:04:12 AM by Golly »
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:59 AM »
Good eyes guys. Yes, this is from the 70's cookbook. It was something of a whim to recreate the shot, but it took more effort than expected. First I had to find the right size food. I came close with the tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms and peppers, but I could not find the right lamb chops and had to make due with one skewer of beef.

The kettle I used is a copper mist, and I think the catalog shot is red, but the final shot seems close. I thought about tring to find a bamboo screen, but ran out of time and money.  I only realized that the editor of the catalog had flipped the photo horizontally after I had everything set up and cooking. That may account for the mushrooms pointing the wrong direction, but more likely it was my bad. Well, that and my food stylist called in sick that day...

If I ever try this again, I'll do more research and write up a to-do cheat sheet. All in all it was fun, but my wife thought I was crazy putting that much effort into a simple dinner. She had no idea what I was up to, and didn't understand why I freaked out when she used my "special" potatoes the night before. I rescued them from a pot of boiling water just in time. No respect! :D

Marty

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 03:09:06 AM »
marty you did real well. 

at first i thought someone just adjusted the setting on the original pic in photoshop so the coals were move visible. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:15 AM »

Yeah, it is really close.....sharp work there, Marty !!!

Indeed, where are you going to find a tiki fence on short notice, in Pennsylvania?

And the potato thing can happen at any time....why just yesterday, my "special potatoes" were  usurped for another project which did come out great........ya never can tell......  :o

This is really a good demonstration of a real peculiar aspect of WKC.......the "re-creations".....there's been a few, Brian's ham & maybe a turkey or two........

What's the most interesting to me about these are the fact that it shows what a drive there was back when to replace what you could do indoors with outdoor covered cooking
Weber still puts out good recipes & books & some parts of those are geared to that aspect, but back in the 50's & 60's & a little further on there seemed to be a push for that 'replacing the kitchen'................
I might be stretching, but after looking at this old 26" kettle I now have, I think the grate is set in lower just so bigger pieces (roasts & such) that could be done in the oven ordinarily would be easier to translate outdoors.............. ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
This is really a good demonstration of a real peculiar aspect of WKC.......the "re-creations".....there's been a few, Brian's ham & maybe a turkey or two........

Don't you suppose you have a link for any of those handy? It's an awesome idea!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Marty, that is simply outstanding.  You have an amazing eye for detail - as evidenced by the great photos you have posted in this forum.  The "original kettle" piece still blows my mind.

Well played!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »
Great execution Marty. I love the thought you put into details.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791