Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: new gasser forum  (Read 16247 times)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: new gasser forum
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
Love my kettles but I also had my dealer find me a blue Genesis and referb it for me.  Going to pick it up next week.  Going to compliment my kettles and help when my grand daughter wants that quick hot dog.  Nice that it is blue to match my two blue kettles and is a Weber.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »
Love my kettles but I also had my dealer find me a blue Genesis and referb it for me.  Going to pick it up next week.  Going to compliment my kettles and help when my grand daughter wants that quick hot dog.  Nice that it is blue to match my two blue kettles and is a Weber.

I too believe that gassers are a nice compliment to the kettles. Post up pics of the blue. What's nice about the older genesis line is that the lids are the same and can  be replaced with different colors. I also believe they are better quality than the new ones and have a more timeless design.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
i have gas.

you don't want proof. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
Here is my beast:

I just need a rotisserie for it. So if anyone has one....  ;D

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
Here is my beast:

I just need a rotisserie for it. So if anyone has one....  ;D

Nice summit. The only thing I don't like about the summits is that the fire box has sheet metal front and back panels. The front panel on the one I have is burned out. Trying to get a replacement from weber.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
My lid is new. Weber gave me a replacement for free. Funny story, guy I bought it from lost the grates, flavor bars, a shelf and the rotisserie, so the price was really good. I went over to pick it up and the guy pulled it out of his garage, tilted it a little too far back, the lid flipped open and snapped off at the pin. Lets just say I got it even cheaper ;-) Got home, called Weber for a price and the person that answered the phone told me..that is a warrantied part, "we will send you off a new one"...man I REALLY love Weber!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
Indy, keep an eye on that front panel. I don't know why one of their top of the line grills has sheet metal front and rear panels in fire box. The genesis is one piece cast aluminum. Here's what mine looks like. 

Still works though. 700+ degrees.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
OH jeez...did you call to see if you can get it replaced under warranty? Cant imagine they would give you problems..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Indy, keep an eye on that front panel. I don't know why one of their top of the line grills has sheet metal front and rear panels in fire box. The genesis is one piece cast aluminum. Here's what mine looks like. 

Still works though. 700+ degrees.

I would guess that casting such a big piece (lower firebox) at low volume is $$$$. The genesis firebox is much smaller and much higher volume.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

Wow, that's some serious Kettle skills.  One day, I might make it there.      I can see where longer cooks wouldn't be a problem.    Unsure about how many kettles I could man for high heat grilling of 26 Porterhouses, 30 Pork Loin Chops and 24 chicken breasts.   As it is, I'll have to stage everything correctly and flip the gassers 2 times to get it all done.   Of course, there will be some stacking along the way as well.  Gotta love carry over cooking.

Thanks, but I'm sure I'd screw up royal on gas.....more power to ya !!!!

see if you can get somebody to take pics of the action     8)

Buckie, things were hopping at the cookout but I had some people send me some of the pics they took.

First of three trays of Porterhouses waiting to go on the 6 burner.

On the grill and smelling good!!

First round of pork loin chops

Two rounds of Porters off the grill and reading to go into holding cabinet (Smoke Hollow 34).

Cooking area #1.   Weber Genesis Gold C right angled to Brinkmann Pro Series 2700

Other end of Cooking area #1, Smoke Hollow 34" propane smoker with a SJS on top.   (At the very right you can see part of my Performer cart getting into the pic)

Cooking area #2.     Two Smoke Hollow 44" propane smokers and to the right of them is a Weber Genesis Silver c

Just to give a better idea of layout, the 3 pic of the cooking areas were all taken from one point with the camera rotating around to the right.   I'd love to have the two cooking areas in closer proximity, or better yet, just one cooking area, but the layout of the backyard won't allow for it.

For the actual cook, I ended up loading the 6burner up with Porterhouses 3 times and the Weber got loaded 3 times as well.   First time with pork, second with remainder of pork and first batch of chicken, third with last batch of chicken and some salmon.   The Smoke Hollow 34" is where meats get held when they come off the grill.

First Smoke Hollow 44 had 50 baked potatoes and 44 ears of corn.   Second had 3 pans of baked beans (you can see them in the pic), 6 racks of baby backs, 1 Garlic pork loin and 2 briskets. 

The Silver C on the right took care of grilled portabella mushrooms, asparagus and tri colored peppers.   Yeah, I have a dedicated veggie grill   :-)

Apologies for not getting more pics, but as you can see, I was kind of busy   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:55:23 PM by demosthenes9 »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:17 AM »
Bang up job !!!!!

Tremendous rotation & organization....VERY good show !!!!!

Here's a common setup for kettles.......don't know that I could pull off something quite like that !!!!

No gas, except for the Camp Chef......

and the Lil' pig......charcoal.....

All various loads, typical....

I'd be doing taters & corn ahead....and brisket.....steaks/chops would be a rotation deal, but man that's a lot......really nice job !!!!!

PS: See you got a Smokey Joe....just in case !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
Bang up job !!!!!

Tremendous rotation & organization....VERY good show !!!!!

Here's a common setup for kettles.......don't know that I could pull off something quite like that !!!!

No gas, except for the Camp Chef......

and the Lil' pig......charcoal.....

All various loads, typical....

I'd be doing taters & corn ahead....and brisket.....steaks/chops would be a rotation deal, but man that's a lot......really nice job !!!!!

PS: See you got a Smokey Joe....just in case !!!!

Thanks Buckie !!   Nice setup.  Again, I might get there one day.

As for "early" and "rotation", projected eating time was 2:30 PM.  The briskets went in the smoker the night before at 2am.    Ribs went into the smoker at 10am.    Beans went in at 11:30 and sat underneath the ribs to catch their drippings.   I fired up the other Smoke Hollow and cranked it up to 500 degrees.  Bakers went into it at 12:30 and corn went in around 1:30.    If you aren't familiar with the Smoke Hollow 44, it ROCKS as an outdoor oven.

At this point, I had started getting behind and fired up the gasses and started the rotational cooking. 

As for having the SJS, I've just recently gotten into cooking with charcoal again after a 30+ year hiatus.   I picked up a 22" OTS to start, then a Performer and then the SJS.   Just a few days before this cook, I scored 2 Jumbo Joes at Target.     

My gassers were probably a bit sore with me as they have been ignored for the last few months as I have been cooking on charcoal for the whole summer.   For smaller cooks, charcoal is my preference at this point.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
"As for "early" and "rotation", projected eating time was 2:30 PM.  The briskets went in the smoker the night before at 2am.    Ribs went into the smoker at 10am.    Beans went in at 11:30 and sat underneath the ribs to catch their drippings.   I fired up the other Smoke Hollow and cranked it up to 500 degrees.  Bakers went into it at 12:30 and corn went in around 1:30.    If you aren't familiar with the Smoke Hollow 44, it ROCKS as an outdoor oven.

At this point, I had started getting behind and fired up the gasses and started the rotational cooking. "

Really great scheduling.......well done !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »
Well I finally picked up my new to me Blue Weber Genesis Silver gas grill.  Just need to pick up a new gas bottle and she is ready to go.  Going to do a few hot dogs for my granddaughter as soon as I have propane.  Now she can have grill hot dogs whenever she wants whether I'm home or not.  Now I'm pretty happy as I have my Blue Platinum Performer, Blue Gold Edition Kettle and my new Blue Genesis.  I will have to get a picture of all of them together. 

Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
Nice