Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tip top temp cornish hens  (Read 1805 times)

irv39

• WKC Brave
Tip top temp cornish hens
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Got tip top temp  the other day and run a dry test and it went good so I thought I would cook some Cornish hens today and see how they turn out, and Im very impressed with this thing, I cooked at 250 and had a temp probe in there to see what the temp of the grate was and it held temp very good, cooked 3/1/2 hrs and the last 1/2 hr I raised the temp to 300 because we were hungry and it turned out great'

temp at grate level

finished

plated

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
Re: Tip top temp cornish hens
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Looks great, thanks for sharing the details. I think I am going to grab one of these.
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
I  think you will like it, I sure do, im going to cook a rib tomorrow im sure it will turn out great

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
As for the temp probes, I drilled a hole in the side of the weber so I didn't have to put the lid on the probe wires.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »
I think for indirect cooking and roasting, the product is fine. But for low and slow smoking it restricts airflow too much to get the perfect smoke.

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Looks great, thanks for sharing the details. I think I am going to grab one of these.
I have a one touch gold 22 in. if you get one it says to keep the bottom vent closed but I find it works better if you have the vent open a little, here is where I had my vents.

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »
I think for indirect cooking and roasting, the product is fine. But for low and slow smoking it restricts airflow too much to get the perfect smoke.

I didn't have any wood in this cook, but tomorrow im going cook a rib and add some hickory chunks and see if I can taste the smoke, I think with the bottom open a little it gives it more air in there, I don't know why they say to leave the bottom closed it would snuff out the fire, I may open it up a little more and see if that works about a 1/4 in. or so. will let you know tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:29:51 PM by irv39 »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
That's some great looking Personal Chickens, Irv................... ;D ;D ;D

i'm always a little leery of "the next new-fangled gizmo", but it seems you got it dialed in pretty good!!!!

Troy did a thing or two also & it appears to work fine.....strikes me as something that's very fine tuned where you leave it completely alone & it will do better.........

look forward to more testings with perhaps an extra long cookup to see how it would do in that case................

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Looks great!