Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Couple questions  (Read 1969 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Couple questions
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
I found an "EZ" 22.5" kettle on a facebook swap site and brought it home. It needs some work including lots of cleanup, a new ash sweep and probably new replacement grills as the originals(?) are pretty badly rusted.

Now, for the questions:

1) after seeing it in the daylight, it appears that it is black with a grey speckle throughout. Is that an original color option?

2) Is it possible to (easily?) add a OTG style ash pan? It looks like the leg assemblies on the kettle don't line up correctly to insert the tabs.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Couple questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
1. scrub it with 0000 steel wool and soapy water, it may clean up the speckles.

2. Some have used a hose clamp to hold it on the leg sockets, or you can attach it with a screw thru the tab and the leg socket, if it were me i would use the hose clamps and put the worm screw side in side the ring.

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
Ron's got you figured on the ash pan.....if you need more of a description, speak up & we'll get some info with pics, etc.

the speckling is the beginning of the Black fading to gray.....actually one of my favorite "colors", not an actual option no, but that one looks really, really even..... 8)

Here's one of mine, "Bob", my favored smoker.......

You can wash it down like Ron said, or oil the whole thing lightly & that will bring it back to Black for a time.....has to be redone from time to time to keep it rich, deep Black color............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »

the speckling is the beginning of the Black fading to gray.....actually one of my favorite "colors", not an actual option no, but that one looks really, really even..... 8)

Buckie is right! I have a 2001 OTS that has this same thing happening, its actually pretty cool with the speckles like that. This is a "salt n pepper" black.  8)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »
2) Is it possible to (easily?) add a OTG style ash pan? It looks like the leg assemblies on the kettle don't line up correctly to insert the tabs.

There are a number of ways to do this.  There is no right or wrong way, just a personal preference.
As Ron mentioned, the hose clamp method is one.

I have used the following method, and I like it:

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
I like that method, MacEggs. You've killed two birds with one stone. The ring is attached and the legs aren't going to fall out. Nice. I'll probably be trying this on my old beat up brownie OTS.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.