Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)  (Read 28852 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »

Yep....those are bolt on legs alright.....single vent ash cloggin' machine right there......isn't that the problem with the single vent Smokey Joes?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
That does look cheap !!!
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

single vent ash cloggin' machine right there......isn't that the problem with the single vent Smokey Joes?

Nothing a tuna can with drilled holes won't solve..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
It just ain't right..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Are bowl bolt-ons next?
Yes, they already sell the mini ranch aka the compact kettle over here with bolt on bowl handles and have done for years, it's the only Made In China kettle they sell so far
And Yes to Zavods fitting!

OMG I WANT THAT GRILL AND HANDLE!!!!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »

Are bowl bolt-ons next?
Yes, they already sell the mini ranch aka the compact kettle over here with bolt on bowl handles and have done for years, it's the only Made In China kettle they sell so far
And Yes to Zavods fitting!

OMG I WANT THAT GRILL AND HANDLE!!!!!

What kind of wood is that? I like it!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »
I believe that's Hogsy's AMAZING eucalyptus handle crafted by Brian of course.

Troy, still have something in the works with Bryan as well so hold tight  ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2014, 07:49:37 AM »
Cant wait to see those!!  8)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
A couple of thoughts, I don't think the bolt on handles will be bad in the long run.  The Jumbo Joes have had those for awhile, and they feel pretty sturdy, plus the heat shield seems awesome.  I'd love to hear some feedback once some one with one uses it.  My other thought in regard to the compact kettle above is it looks like it'll have the same issues that the Jumbo Joe has, it's partially that it's a single vent but more that the vent holes are just too damn small.  I find it really hard to get/keep enough air flow into the jumbo joe, even with no ash in the bottom and the vents wide open. 

El-Bastardo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2014, 06:58:50 AM »

I thought it was the end of the world as we know it...it was almost, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Make fun all you like, it's still the end of an era for weber kettles.

Matt. Can you provide the center to center measurement between the handle bolts?  Thanks

Winz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Winz it actually appears to be 5-3/16"... i'll pull the handle off later tonight to try and double check.

If it's long term concerns you have then at least if it wears out you can unbolt it and put on another we can't do that now....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

No matter how you slice it a hole complete through the lid is creating a cavity for water. I'd be shocked if this design holds up as well as the original over the long haul. Yes you can replace the handle but do you think those connection points will be solid still in 10 years? I hope I'm proved wrong but at first glance this appears to be a design change solely to save money on production and replacement parts, not one to improve overall product quality.

This was my thought on it. Water.

I saw one of the new lids today. It came in as a replacement, no hardware, just the lid. I'm not sure I'm gonna like the new style. I know I didn't like the new burner configuration on the genesis and spirit models.

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
Looks like I will be able to give an opinion on these in about a week, I just bought a silver and the lid hook came off leaving two small holes in the lid but I can still use it.  Weber said no problem they are sending me a new lid!  The order shows a silver/gold lid and a handle with heat shield so I am positive it will be the new design.  Only thing I am wondering is if the lid will come predrilled for a thermometer?  The Silvers don't have them of course and as far as I know all Gold models do, has me wondering what it going to be in the box if they are going to send the same lid for a Silver that they send for a Gold? I will be fine if it doesn't have one and if it does I will be calling them back and asking what am I supposed to do with the extra hole.  All in all Weber support is superb regardless

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »
"Only thing I am wondering is if the lid will come predrilled for a thermometer?  The Silvers don't have them of course and as far as I know all Gold models do, has me wondering what it going to be in the box if they are going to send the same lid for a Silver that they send for a Gold?"

This does begin an interesting set of circumstances for Weber, does it not?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
Everything will rust eventually. Brian is correct, the handles are the most likely place to find rust, with the blowouts from the straps a close second.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
The Silvers don't have them of course and as far as I know all Gold models do, has me wondering what it going to be in the box if they are going to send the same lid for a Silver that they send for a Gold? I will be fine if it doesn't have one and if it does I will be calling them back and asking what am I supposed to do with the extra hole.  All in all Weber support is superb regardless

I would call and ask Weber CS now otherwise you will be waiting a few extra weeks to have it sorted out. I'm sure they will supply you with a thermo if you get a lid with the hole. Good Luck!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Good advice, I should go ahead and give them a call, funny thing is one of the reason or excuses I went ahead and grabbed a new grill right now was from reading this thread just incase I didn't like the new changes.  I already have an old performer ss that I plan on keeping for ever but there is always room for one more grill.  Now I am just curious on what they will send me, I can always braze the pin holes in the lid that my new grill came with or just live with them and keep it as a back up for the performer since it has a bale. 

Will update what I get when it comes in, while I am here thanks to everyone for all the great post on this site!  I've been lurking for a while prior to joining and always find a wealth of information.