Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: my neighbor never uses his kettle, what should i offer him for it?  (Read 2890 times)

GregS

• WKC Performer
i don't want to take advantage of him, but i don't want to overpay either.

he's a nice guy, but just doesn't grill anymore.  i don't think he's used it in 4 years. 

i'll probably see him this weekend, or go knocking but i want to offer him a fair price. 

it seems in great condition for it's age, and all original as best i can tell.  he's quite elderly so i'm almost sure he bought it new. 

i haven't been researching these for very long, a couple weeks maybe tops, so any realistic input is greatly appreciated.

thank you!

Greg
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: my neighbor never uses his kettle, what should i offer him for it?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Tell him that if he gives you the kettle, you will clean it up, restore it, take care of it, and cook him some great meals.  He may just give it to you.  If not, he will let you know the price and you can decide if it is fair or not.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
I would start with "I like the red kettle" OR what are you doing with that old red kettle???? Then try will trade you for it or buy them a new black one. By the way the store are discounting them now so you should be able to get one for around $50 or less.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
nice grill.
regarding value, plenty of members have gotten them for free or at least less than $20

I would do what winz and cuda dan are talking about.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
Tell him that if he gives you the kettle, you will clean it up, restore it, take care of it, and cook him some great meals.  He may just give it to you.  If not, he will let you know the price and you can decide if it is fair or not.

Winz

Exactly this.   You are not taking advantage of someone by asking if you can rescue and put in to service a 45 year old grill that has not been used in years.  If he does have a dollar value, he will let you know. 

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
Yeah, get him to tell you the story of that kettle.  You'll know what to do - it'll become apparent whether you have a chance of buying it from him or not.

In the meantime, can you give me his phone number?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
I would check craigslist for a relatively new OTS or OTG for around $35 (hopefully less?) and clean her up like new as trade bait. Save a few bucks and practice up on your cleaning techniques for when you get your hands on the red  ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
I agree with those above that *Respect* goes not only to the kettle, but to the owner.  Tell him you like his grill, ask him where he got it, and show him that you'll respect it and take good care of it.  If he's interested in you having it, he'll let you know the terms (and he might just give it to you).  If he's not, then you won't be insulting him.  Either way, connecting with him in this way will likely mean the kettle will be yours eventually.  In the meantime, ask him for some cooking tips and some Weber stories-- I bet he has plenty, even if he hasn't been cooking for a few years. 

...and be sure to keep us posted!  Good luck!
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Every kettle has a story. Find out this one's. Maybe some great memories attached to it.. Even if he is not interested in selling it, offer to clean it up and restore it for him?

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
Every kettle has a story. Find out this one's. Maybe some great memories attached to it.. Even if he is not interested in selling it, offer to clean it up and restore it for him?
^^ This! :thumbsup:

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
PAT PENDING lid vent, tires appear to be half rubber/plastic,  this is at least a '69-'70 kettle.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 05:52:02 AM »
I would throw in there that your grandfather had one just like it, and you have been looking for one for a long time.  When he died your aunt took it and gave it to the church and you have been looking ever since.  Some shit like that to get some sympathy.  Then tell him you'll take good care of it.  I wouldn't go into the collector mode with him otherwise people instantly get stars in their eyes and hold it because they think if someone else wants it then it must be valuable...don't offer too much in the way of details, then he'll know it's something worth studying.  You want to make sure it just seems like a old grill that has sentimental value to you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 06:02:33 AM »
thanks for posting everyone. a lot of good advice here and i'll talk to him the next time i see him. 

I would throw in there that your grandfather had one just like it, and you have been looking for one for a long time.  When he died your aunt took it and gave it to the church and you have been looking ever since.  Some shit like that to get some sympathy.  Then tell him you'll take good care of it.  I wouldn't go into the collector mode with him otherwise people instantly get stars in their eyes and hold it because they think if someone else wants it then it must be valuable...don't offer too much in the way of details, then he'll know it's something worth studying.  You want to make sure it just seems like a old grill that has sentimental value to you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
thanks for posting but i don't think i'd go that route.  i realize you are trying to help but i'd rather just be honest and hear what he has to share about it.  for all i know he got it at a garage sale 10 years ago just before we moved here and doesn't like it.  who knows? 
I only use kettles with lid bales.