Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26r Wheel Project  (Read 3094 times)

SixZeroFour

26r Wheel Project
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:50:42 AM »
So with some excellent advice from members Craig, glrasmussen, and buckie I have started work on a set of wheels hoping to match the originals as close as possible.

For reference here's a photo of the original (Thanks Greg!):

So I rounded up a bunch of wheels, including a set of Arnold 8" but they had a bearing assembly.

After looking long and hard I decided I wanted to keep the 8" wheels that came with my 26r (These have to be old Arnold replacements as well!) but use the proper cross tread tire off on of the newer sets.

With a little experimenting off came the newer tires... I had to cut the old ones off as they just cracked apart when trying to remove.

Here are the final wheels assembled but not painted:

Another..

So now they are black and I'm at the last step - hope to find a suitable white paint so stencil the white ring sometime today. Pics to follow!

These should at least look a little more proper on the chief - I also cleaned up the legs and triangle and will next polish off the lower vents then she's going to be back to original glory!

Thanks for looking - tips or comments appreciated!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: 26r Wheel Project
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »
604 Wheels look good.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:42:12 PM »
Great work 604 your a machine 8)(that's a compliment downunder)
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
Those are turning out great! Keep us posted on these! I used 70s thin whitewalls on mine but was also considering the thicker metal rimmed era whitewalls too.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
Zavod made this whitewall stickers, didn't he?  You see where I'm going with this?  ;)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Those are turning out great! Keep us posted on these! I used 70s thin whitewalls on mine but was also considering the thicker metal rimmed era whitewalls too.

Craig, so are these still not period correct for a Pat Pending? Should I be looking for a thin whitewall version? and is it 8"? (Clean Photo would be AWESOME!)

I'm more than happy with my project wheels until I can find some originals!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »

Craig, so are these still not period correct for a Pat Pending? Should I be looking for a thin whitewall version? and is it 8"? (Clean Photo would be AWESOME!)

I'm more than happy with my project wheels until I can find some originals!

They are period correct. PAT PENDING era kettles have been observed with metal rims/rubber treads to plastic rims/rubber treads to plastic rims/plastic treads. 26 kettle wheels were rubber treaded (straight line AND "wafer" tread) until the "WEBER" whitewall plastic wheels came out in 1977 or so. The 1972 catalog (most likely photographed in 1971)  lists the kettles as "PATENT PENDING" still (pat# issued on 11/10/70) the 26 kettles are pictured with the transitional straight lined rubber tread/plastic rims. However the '72 cover has George Stephen posing with a 26" red with the "wafer" tread 8"s.  In the 1973 catalog (most likely photographed in '72), the patent # is printed and they are pictured with the wafer pattern "cross hatch"  treaded wheels. So like the 22's, any style is acceptable when it comes to PAT PENDING era.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Well, I'm quite happy with how it turned out! Here's a finished shot... the other ones being painted now  8)

Replica:

Original:

Thanks again to all for the advice!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
That turned out fantastic!! Did you mask areas of the wheel off or did you free hand it?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
I made a 2 piece stencil (inner and outer circle) and then used a satin white spray paint. I noticed on many of the older wheels the stripe was actually painted on and you could almost see a tiny touch of overspray so I tried to mimic it as close as possible.

Next and final step is the triangle and its about the only piece that really needed some work. I think it will clean up but my hands are hurting already ;)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »

"I think it will clean up but my hands are hurting already ;)'

The pain of Weberitis......kinda like the heartbreak of psoriasis, only different.....

Great fix on those !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Yes Hello, can I have the parts dept please, Yes I can hold...
Uh Hi there, I would like to order a couple sets of wheels.. Plastic, no, the custom one..
Yes, you have my card on file.. Thank You!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
I might have to try this..

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »