Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Griddle Ideas  (Read 6983 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Griddle Ideas
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
Bayou Classic makes this  cast iron 20" griddle

I've seen some large griddles at cast iron shows as well, a guy might pick up a Wagner or griswold if he keep his eyes open
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:46:59 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Griddle Ideas
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
Cast aluminum griddles pop up  now and then

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »
I have my cast iron 22" Weber griddle.  Find a foundry and maybe we can use it as a pattern.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the grand ideas....I was thinking of a 22" piece of plate steel but wouldn't know where to begin the process of getting one.  Good to see there are some other alternatives that are probably cheaper and easier.

@downthehatch-I like the concept but have read reviews in the past about similar grates warping with high heat.  Those reviews were not specific to this company.
@Gummi-I like your thinking.  That's what I had in mind.
@Swamp-those taters look awesome.
@Peas-I googled discada and found the southwest disk site.  Im kind of digging this one:  http://www.southwestdisk.com/Moab_Rim_Disc_Grill/
@TBS-that's the kind of pan I had in mind.  More research needed.
@Ida-Ive seen that in person.  Its a monster.  Do they really have cast iron shows?  Strange, but I want to attend one.
@Zav-might be time to immerse myself in the art of metallurgy.  A custom CI griddle would be sweet.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 04:29:40 AM »
Stu-
Step 1)  Read my post here:   http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/a-new-implement-in-the-war-on-cooking/

Step 2) Go to your local Fleet Farm.  Buy the disk and a pair of horse-shoes.

Step 3) Scrounge a small square of steel to plug the center hole, and whatever you want to use for a base/legs.   Now is when you want to grind all of the powder-coating off the disk.  (Not a fun job)

Step 4) Take all of the supplies (already cleaned up and cut to fit) to a local welding shop and have it welded up.  Even most muffler shops will do some welding for a 12-pack.

Step 5) Toss the whole works into the campfire to burn/season it.   DONE!

It's ironic, we were just talking about the discada last night at an extended family gathering.   My dad said, "You should start making these and selling them!"   It's a good thought, but shipping would be a bear as they are HEAVY!

On a side-note...   Since you are in Wisconsin, if you are near any farm/implement salvage yards, you could probably get disks pretty cheap and they wouldn't need the powder-coating ground off, but may need rust clean up.

Keep me posted if you need any help.....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:32:17 AM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 04:47:23 AM »
Great post Sax.....never pass up a chance to go to Fleet Farm...:)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 05:54:32 AM »
I don't have a pic but there's also those old Griswold round griddles from the '40s and '50s. Their built like tanks and some were made around 20" diameter. I want one bad!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:34 AM »
Dude, relax your chicken.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »
This guy on eBay makes custom laser cut grates. They are expensive though. You might be able to just buy a blank grate. Or maybe put a small WKC logo on it.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/turtlelabs

I reached out to these guys.  For a 22.750" round it's $100 for 0.125" thick and $130 for 0.1875" thick.  I asked for air vents around the perimeter and the remainder solid.  I'm seriously thinking about one.

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
No longer offered by Lodge, I picked up a 20" loop handled skillet years ago.  fits on the kettle perfectly.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
Bumping this up to maybe consolidate a couple things ...

The Weber 6560 mentioned above (current, cast iron, about $30) is similar in shape to the 1405 (discontinued, aluminum) also mentioned above and reviewed by 604: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2015/03/19/vintage-accessories-1405-weber-griddle/

However, the 6560 supposedly also fits on a 18.5" and so, would be smaller than the 1405?

Finally, in the pink paper that came with the 1405 it mentions a 1400 griddle that takes the place of a 22.5" grate.

And it's worth mentioning again the 7421 that's part of the Gourmet system.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
A restaurant supply/repair store might have something your interested in for cheap. These places are a SS/cast iron treasure trove to guys like us.

Also you can contact a local steel yard, some of them can cut and do minor fab & weld work for you.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »
Anybody used one of these?  I picked this up in January for less than half price.  I haven't got it dirty yet, but I couldn't make it for the price that I paid. $30 + tax.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.