Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber in the Wilderness  (Read 3547 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber in the Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I need a vacation now. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Weber in the Wilderness
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
A few more shots

Someone spent some time building the furniture, all ten beds were log beds or futons , incredible 

Family memories of good times and good food , it's what's it's all about
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:16:11 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 03:20:11 AM »
I'm no outdoorsman but that looks awesome...Was the grill there or did you bring it?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
I brought it along :)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
I'm no outdoorsman but that looks awesome...Was the grill there or did you bring it?

Well, that is a cabin, so its not like you are sleeping outdoors.  Sheesh, "city people".

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
When I walk in my back yard that's as close to camping as I like to get.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »

Speaking of, how do you like your xtreme cooler?  Is it a 6 day or a 5 day, and what size?

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »

Speaking of, how do you like your xtreme cooler?  Is it a 6 day or a 5 day, and what size?

It hasn't let me down yet , I like it .

It's the 27" you get about 24" of useable space inside not a lot of room and it's the 5 day I think ? I've had it for years the hinges are broke and it's missing a handle , but it will hold ice forever 10 days or more . I use it for meat, typically everything frozen on long trips to start with, that helps maintain the cold if you don't open it to much that is. Been watching CL for a bigger one or a Yeti we need another one

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
It hasn't let me down yet , I like it .

It's the 27" you get about 24" of useable space inside not a lot of room and it's the 5 day I think ? I've had it for years the hinges are broke and it's missing a handle , but it will hold ice forever 10 days or more . I use it for meat, typically everything frozen on long trips to start with, that helps maintain the cold if you don't open it to much that is. Been watching CL for a bigger one or a Yeti we need another one

My "primary", a 14 year old igloo marine is getting long in the tooth and I am going to downsize my "primary" to something in the 60 - 70 quart range.    I am very tempted to go the Yeti/engel/Pelican route.  Frankly, the price is one deterrent but so is the weight.  The 6 day coleman ultimate xtremes seem to be the next best option.  Still the roto molded coolers keep calling me with their $iren $ongs.   

Bamboofisher

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
Hello,

The Yaak is a pretty cool place isnt' it?

Our family has a summer home on 11 acres just off the Upper Ford Road about 4 miles up from the Upper Ford Ranger Station.

You must have been up there right around the same time we were or maybe just after.  We (me, my wife, and our two sons ages 6 and 4) were up there from July 12 to July 19.  Did you fish the river right around the ranger station?  That section is good for brook trout and the occasional mountain whitefish.  I like the section upstream from the bridge on the Upper Ford road just above the Upper Ford Ranger Station. 

I love fishing my 4 weight bamboo fly rod on that river.  Just a blast fishing dry flies with that rod!  Only got a couple days fishing while we were there but that is usually the case when on family vacations.

There are currently three webers at our place there.  One is an OLD 2 burner Ducane and I do mean OLD.  It actually has the lava rocks rather than the flavorizer bars!  The other two are a 22.5 OTS and a SJ. 

The OTS there is the first weber I ever bought.  I bought it in 1996 so cooking on that grill while we're there is like reconnecting with an old friend  :).  The grill is still going strong.  I replaced the original cooking grate with one on the hinged ones the last time we were there a couple years ago and replaced the charcoal grate this last time.  When we go up there next summer I'm going to install a 5/8" grommet since I got a pair of those from Cajun Bandit a couple months ago and then I'll be able to cook pretty much anything we like.

Wow.  The inside of the Upper Ford Ranger Station is a masterful work in craftsmanship.  The Forest Service did a wonderful job in restoring that.

Sounds like you had a great time up there.  Did you make it down to the Yaak Tavern for the music concert?  We didn't since the concerts were on the 12th and the 19th which were travel days for us.

Brian
Brian

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
Welcome, Brian!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Weber in the Wilderness
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
Welcome to the site , you have great taste in Cookers and vacation spots :)

We're camping fools we go  almost every weekend :)

We were up there July 20-24 , there were quite a few fisherman so I didn't get too excited about it personally , but the kids fished and caught a few so it was fun for them , we visit the area a couple times a year , sometimes on the Idaho side or the rexford side and up into Eureka and the 10 lakes area , going to stay up the Fisher river starting on Sunday staying at another Ranger Station , Fairview built in 1908 and just newly restored and opened this year , were  hoping the huckleberries will be out and the fish will be biting :)