Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some pulled pork help  (Read 5575 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Need some pulled pork help
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
So my neighbor loved the pulled pork that I made a few weeks back. He asked if I could teach him to do it. The catch is he wants to do it on his gasser. At least it's a Weber. I believe it's a Spirit with two zones. I've never done a pork shoulder on a gas grill and could use some guidance. I already figured that I should shield the meat with foil. I'm thinking I'll wrap wood chips and put them directly on the flavorizers.

Thinking 225 degrees for the cook. should I still check at 190ish and probe till 205ish? Should I wrap it when it's done? When can I pull it?

Any other tips to get this done?

Hopefully I'll convert him to charcoal someday.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need some pulled pork help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
tell him to put it in a crock pot and add liquid smoke and call it a day or you could loan him your OTG it would be easier.......

you can do it, but keeping the temps low and adding smoke at the same time might be a challenge, definitely foil packet for smoke.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »

Do it in a pan, you'll still get smoke.....if you don't, it will be a gigantic mess his gasser may never recover from........................
 Burner on, on one side, panned pork on other or in middle with low burners either side......

Fun part about a pan is you can add in some liquids & get a partial braizing that way....gas tends to dry things out sometimes & that fixes that..............

Run up to 175~180 int, then cover the pan for 1-1/2hr., maybe....that will speed the finish some.....don't know about crispy bark doing this....just not the same deal......

I walked a guy thru a pork butt on one of those box grills, like gas, charcoal, infrared 3X deals, on the grill.....
charcoal straight under a butt, "Z" shaped snake of charc. with wood blocks.....it worked.....if that guy could do that, anything's possible...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
propane will not produce the same que.

Not just for the fact I dislike gassers (same as the oven in your house)

crockpot or oven.

I would drag a kettle over and teach. Give him the basics and let him try on his own terms with the gasser. That will convince him to start burning charcoal.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
You guys aren't making me feel to confident.

Maybe I can talk him into doing 2,one on gas and one on charcoal.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
Heres a post of how I did it on my 10 year old weber genesis platinum. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52243-Pulled-pork-on-my-gasser&p=572812#post572812

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »
Turned out great, btw. 8) I is much easier on a kettle though. I haven't done in my gasser, but he might want to try the smoke/braise method on the gasser.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »

What's "unconfident" about throw it in a pan & cook?

It will work, just different than 'normal'......might could run the temp just a little higher as it's not completely enclosed like a kettle.....you do lose some heat out the doors & windows on those things..................
 You could do a side-by-side & convince him like Jimmy said.....that ensures something will go right & if the other one works out fine, big pork party !!!!!

Heres a post of how I did it on my 10 year old weber genesis platinum. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52243-Pulled-pork-on-my-gasser&p=572812#post572812

There you go ^^^^^^^^

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:49:34 AM »

What's "unconfident" about throw it in a pan & cook?

It will work, just different than 'normal'......might could run the temp just a little higher as it's not completely enclosed like a kettle.....you do lose some heat out the doors & windows on those things..................
 You could do a side-by-side & convince him like Jimmy said.....that ensures something will go right & if the other one works out fine, big pork party !!!!!

There you go ^^^^^^^^

Sorry, the other posts didn't make it sound like it will get good results. I'll probably try your method!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »

"I believe it's a Spirit with two zones."

.....still a Weber !!!!!!

Give it a whirl, might just turn out fine & then you know you can......maybe also go with another on the kettle.....dinner insurance is always a good thing !!!!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:17:24 AM »
Okay, good news. We are going to test two methods. He will do one in the oven and I'll do one on the kettle!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »

There's a plan !!!!!

Is it against the rules for him to add liquid smoke to the oven one?

Kiddin' !!!  My sister does big batches of them in large ovens for her church functions & they come out fine.....
I've also showed her how to do it on a kettle if the desire ever arises.......

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »
Lol, we are looking to see how they compare, one with smoke and one without. It should be interesting.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »

If you go all the way thru to around 200- int. it will still pull just the same.....different rubs / spices / sauces can add a lot even done by an"electric".......

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:20 AM »
The oven one turned out good but tasted totally different. You could tell it was done in an oven. Definitely a fine way to cook it if you don't have a grill. Of course the smoked one was preferred overall. The turds were a hit also.