Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some pulled pork help  (Read 5576 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need some pulled pork help
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »

good deal.....porka-lishous !!!!

I love the color of those 'Turds !!!

So, what kinds of seasonings / rubs were on the two different ones?

How did times / temps compare? Any pertinent info is happenin' !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

good deal.....porka-lishous !!!!

I love the color of those 'Turds !!!

So, what kinds of seasonings / rubs were on the two different ones?

How did times / temps compare? Any pertinent info is happenin' !!!!

I should have taken a picture of the oven roasted one. It really wasn't bad but it just wasn't real pulled pork, ya know?

For the rub we used a basic rub from one of Myron Mixons book. It has brown sugar, cayenne powder, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, koser salt and course ground pepper. It was supposed to have mustard powder but I didn't have any.

Mine temp was around 250-275 range and took about 5-5.5 hours or so. His was cooked at 325 and was done about at least an hour sooner. I don't know exactly. He also seared the outside on his first before it went into the oven which I think that helped the bark firm up a bit.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I need help as well I'm doing a pork shoulder on a wsm but don't know how long it will take to cook.

The package net weight was 15 lbs I cut them in quarters.

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
I'm two hours in and hitting meat temps of 153?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »

was it two whole for a total of 15#?
Then those two cut into 8 total pieces?

How hot are you running......that could be accurate if they're small pieces, but stuff like this actually cooks better in a somewhat larger piece......

also, check where your therm is......is it too far into a chunk, then reading closer to the outer edge which will give a slightly false reading....or right up next to a bone, which can also fool the therm.............

If they're cut to a thinner overall piece than the original, it will be faster, but the real goodness comes from the chemical changeover @ 165~180f......should dwell for a time in temp, then rise fairly rapidly......

I have to go, but hopefully others will pitch some guidance here......

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »

was it two whole for a total of 15#?
Then those two cut into 8 total pieces?

How hot are you running......that could be accurate if they're small pieces, but stuff like this actually cooks better in a somewhat larger piece......

also, check where your therm is......is it too far into a chunk, then reading closer to the outer edge which will give a slightly false reading....or right up next to a bone, which can also fool the therm.............

If they're cut to a thinner overall piece than the original, it will be faster, but the real goodness comes from the chemical changeover @ 165~180f......should dwell for a time in temp, then rise fairly rapidly......

I have to go, but hopefully others will pitch some guidance here......
Sorry
Kind of drunk so it was a total of 4 pieces.  I hit the 165 degree stall so I decided to do the Texas crutch or whatever. 

So close to the promise land of 205 never have I grilled this much to encounter the stall.  I was panicking when the temp wouldn't go up.

Thanks all under control now.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »

just got back from delivering......you guessed it, pulled pork over to Ma's house.....

Glad it's OK..........that 'panicky' place......................don't go there.....bad neighborhood..... 8)

That's where you're shifting gears from regular old grilling into real, live barbeque, remain calm, the nervousness will pass quickly & the pork goodness is right around the corner !!!!!

this is great.....we should do pulled pork tag team again....here's mine:

And there will be no more whimpering about pork butts.....some guy just did one on a Smokey Joe over at Bretheren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194710

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »

just got back from delivering......you guessed it, pulled pork over to Ma's house.....

Glad it's OK..........that 'panicky' place......................don't go there.....bad neighborhood..... 8)

That's where you're shifting gears from regular old grilling into real, live barbeque, remain calm, the nervousness will pass quickly & the pork goodness is right around the corner !!!!!

this is great.....we should do pulled pork tag team again....here's mine:

And there will be no more whimpering about pork butts.....some guy just did one on a Smokey Joe over at Bretheren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194710

That looks amazing!!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
No need to panic from the stall. It will overcome. It always happens so it is totally normal.

How'd yours turn out? Taste great?

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »
No need to panic from the stall. It will overcome. It always happens so it is totally normal.

Yup, that why I prefer overnight cooks......I like sleep through the stall  ;D
-Keith

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 05:11:58 AM »

Yup, that why I prefer overnight cooks......I like sleep through the stall  ;D

My wife doesn't seem thrilled about an overnight cook. She things something will knock over the grill and burn the deck/house down. Blah

Andrew

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »
The #1 thing about bar b que is to not panic. Whatever happens the worst case scenario is to drink a beer and chill out. I never even check big pieces of meat like shoulders and briskets until at least 6 hours in. If you can touch your hand to the cool side of the lid for a 5 count without burning yourself it's fine. If not, close the vents a tiny bit. If it's too cool, open a tiny bit and wait 60 minutes. If it's still cool add some charcoal. Just have plenty of beer on hand and things to do when guests arrive if it's not done yet. They will love it when it IS done!