Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WGA Conversion Question  (Read 1086 times)

laweidauer

WGA Conversion Question
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
I know this isn’t a kettle question, but the folks on here seem to know a ton about BBQ in general.  I have a WGA propane grill and I am not a fan of it whatsoever.  It is hard to light and struggles to stay lit.  I would like to change it over to charcoal and was wondering if anyone has ever done this.  Thanks everyone.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: WGA Conversion Question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
You would need to add vents as the propane one doesn't have and air control. The propane one also has a louvered lid which is always open- you may have trouble choking off the fire. Does the propane one have a charcoal grate at the bottom? It would be better to get the charcoal off the bottom surface to preserve the porcelain and let the charcoal breath. Imo, it would be better to sell that on CL for $20-25 and buy a SJ. the jury is split on how much they like the CGA, but if you know how to use it you can get good results.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
where are you located?
I have a charcoal GA that I plan to get rid of if I ever get my hands on a colored 18 OT

laweidauer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »
I'm in South Dakota.  I kinda thought maybe I'd be better off just getting rid of it.  In my opinion it functions so poorly it's not worth having which is surprising on a weber product.