Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Kettle Table.  (Read 9900 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: New Kettle Table.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 05:13:38 AM »
beautiful work!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 05:24:30 AM »
That looks awesome!!

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »
As requested here are pictures of the ends of the table. The large side will be used for charcoal.

The shorter side will be used for other stuff.

Here is a picture of the door closed

And finally a picture of the "lid bail".  I am not sure I will like this setup, but I can probably get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdw

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
That's AWESOME! Nicely done!!

Wish my Dad was still around so that we could build something like that. Enjoy your time with him while you can - sounds like you already do.

I'm curious, you said you used an OTG. How is the kettle supported? I figure the opening in the table needs to have room to allow for the kettle to expand as it heats up or there could be too much pressure on either the kettle or the table. Is the kettle sitting on some kind of gasket that allows for this expansion?

What happened to the handles on the base? Are they integrated into the table top? Are they being used to support the base?   I thought about doing that with the table I would like to build but am concerned that the handles aren't designed to support the load of a full kettle, especially when in use; but, I'm no engineer so this is purely unfounded conjecture.

Thanks for sharing!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
Again awesome. out of a Russian Olive... Could you mount the lid bale to one of the doors? New style Sequoia.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »
Marshallflyer
New style Sequoia? So when is he going into production with the Sequoia's so I can place an order.....
Nice job on manufacturing the BBQ table. I like the lid holder down be low.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
I wish I had skills like this.

Have you tested it out yet.  Will the wood stand up to the heat of the grill?

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

That's AWESOME! Nicely done!!

Wish my Dad was still around so that we could build something like that. Enjoy your time with him while you can - sounds like you already do.

I'm curious, you said you used an OTG. How is the kettle supported? I figure the opening in the table needs to have room to allow for the kettle to expand as it heats up or there could be too much pressure on either the kettle or the table. Is the kettle sitting on some kind of gasket that allows for this expansion?

What happened to the handles on the base? Are they integrated into the table top? Are they being used to support the base?   I thought about doing that with the table I would like to build but am concerned that the handles aren't designed to support the load of a full kettle, especially when in use; but, I'm no engineer so this is purely unfounded conjecture.

Thanks for sharing!

Here is a picture of how the grill is mounted to the table. I am currently using the handles to support the grill. I had/have many of the same concerns you do.

I will probably come up a few more brackets  to provide a few other support points. 

Also the hole in the table is cut at 24.5", 1.5" larger than the diameter of the kettle.

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »

Again awesome. out of a Russian Olive... Could you mount the lid bale to one of the doors? New style Sequoia.

I like the idea of mounting it on the door. I will see how this works and make changes as needed.

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »

Marshallflyer
New style Sequoia? So when is he going into production with the Sequoia's so I can place an order.....
Nice job on manufacturing the BBQ table. I like the lid holder down be low.

Cuba Dan

I think you'll have to take a number. 😄

He has been busy doing kitchens for people. Here is the kitchen he did for one of my brothers. It is made out of honey locust. Another tree that would usually go to firewood

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »

I have not tested it out yet. The hole of the table is 1.5" bigger than the kettle. Plus I hope with the open bottom the heat will dissipate and not have an adverse affect on the wood. 

tdw

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Thanks Marshallflyer for sharing! I appreciate your showing how the kettle is supported.

I was thinking of building mine such that the end of the table is open so that the bbq can slide in and be supported by the existing legs. I haven't decided whether to have a lower shelf that the kettle sits on top of thereby retaining the original integrity of the BBQ, or using a custom built tripod as part of the build.

Thanks again!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
That's a cools table. Epic kitchen!
What part of texas? We are getting folks together for DFW crew..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »

I have not tested it out yet. The hole of the table is 1.5" bigger than the kettle. Plus I hope with the open bottom the heat will dissipate and not have an adverse affect on the wood. 

Hmm have you thought of putting some metallic or stainless steel sheets siding on the interior where the kettle sits?  It would give it a nice metallic look and may help protect the wood from the heat.  Lol I'm no expert so I wouldn't know if it would help.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »
Marshallflyer
WOW what a kitchen.... He does some really nice work!

Thanks for sharing..

Cuda Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG