Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Custom Bar B Que Kettle  (Read 5673 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Custom Bar B Que Kettle
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
Amazing to think of the guy (or girl) on the line, doing a Jackson Pollock on these customs. Speaking of him, this one was done in 1950. Makes you wonder if George was a fan?

Like the Westerner - a true handcrafted work of art grill. I'd be tempted to simply mount the lid on my living room wall. You're a lucky man G!

Marty, EVERYBODY ( who was even the slightest bit hip) was a Jackson Pollock fan back then...... 8)

.......the guy unwittingly "made" modern art happen in America............. 8)

PS: I'm still thinking on how this could be done......what's needed is an extra high viscosity (very thick) high heat paint................
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:45:30 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
Just getting that lid cleaned up is a win.  I think it's going to look really cool once cleaned up.  Is it me or are the angles of the leg sockets wider than modern kettles?   
WTB 18 fruit

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »
I don't think they are supposed to be.  The front leg socket is rusted through and there was no ash triangle which probably allowed it to creep outwards giving it a wider stance.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »
I've known about that grill for several years and decided it was time to save it. I didn't remember it being that rough though! Once I got it home I realized it was more than I was able/willing to tackle, and knowing of Stu's love affair with 18.5s, giving it to him was a no brainer.

You've done a great job so far Stu, and I'm excited to see what you do with the rest of it.

BTW, Stu, ever the gentleman, gifted me with a charcoal grate, cooking grate, and warming rack in exchange for the grill. Totally uncalled for but very much appreciated!

Maybe Stu will find a better condition bowl that needs a lid!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:46:29 AM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 05:52:21 AM »
Simply awesome!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
Now that's a graill! I agree with Craig, the triangle pans have been a real challenge so far. On the front leg, I'm not sure if it's bent forward, I'm leaning more toward the front socket sits up a little higher and the leg is a little longer like a couple of the other fifties grills I have seen. I can't wait to see it finished.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
Another great save of a classic. Nice work on the rescue and keep us posted on the restore!
Uncommon sense seeker

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
BUMP...... The 22 Custom in Iowa got me thinking about this one.... any updates on this one Stu?  :D

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 02:57:26 AM »
Yeah Stu...any updates?  This is such a rare grill.  I know it will look 100 times better when your done with it.  That lid is so awesome!

Perhaps you can post in the "Members Sales and Trades" that you're looking for an 18" 50's Custom bowl!  I'm sure a few of us have one laying around!  LOL
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 03:20:23 AM »
That's brilliant.

The lid would make a great hanging piece on the wall.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 05:26:42 AM »
I love the pictures in the first post!  Great cleanup so far Stu!

This must be a fun one to try to restore.