Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Cleaning  (Read 2276 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Kettle Cleaning
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:10 AM »
What's the best way to clean the bowl and lid? I hear about people using razorblades and steel wool, but wouldn't that scratch the porcelain?

At the same time I've been using paper towel and things like 409, simple green, fantastic, and it doesn't seem to do much. My newest kettle which was brand new about two months ago looks really beat.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »
Don't fear the blade! (Or the wool) just make sure you use 0000 steel wool, and some dish detergent or bar keepers friend (my favorite) as a lube. For heavy buildup, get a straight razor holder and you'll quickly get the hang of the technique. Just run it in a variety of directions and the gunk will come right off. Finish with the wool. No scratches if you take you time. Might have to give it a shot of oven cleaner first. Have fun!

Marty

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
So I'm guessing the razor would have to bend to the curve of the bowl, is that right?

And thanks for the reply.

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »
Yeah, the thin razor blade curves with the inside of bowl.   Works slick.

I love the smell of a evening cook...

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:34 AM »
You have to think about how short a razor blade is in relationship to the curvature of the bowl.  The blade bends very little at any given time. 

For really nasty messes......I hit the lid/bowl with heavy duty oven cleaner and let it sit for awhile (an hour in the sun inside a black plastic trashbag works wonders).  Then give it a good scrape, and repeat.  After 2-3 sessions, the worst of it should be gone.  Then I move to dish soap and the steel wool.  At that point, its easy to feel where the crud is.  Anywhere you feel resistance, you need to scrub harder.  Keep the razor blade handy for the few specs of stuff that is still stuck in place.  After a little bit of time and elbow grease, the kettle should look almost brand new.

I have never scratched the porcelain on any of my cleanups, and I have been pretty agressive about cleaning some nasty shit out of the kettles
-Keith

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:46 AM »
One of the best tricks I picked up-- besides razor blades and then Pez's great razor blade holder-- is just soaking in water.  If you have a big Rubbermaid-type container, it will deform a bit when filled with water and hold a lid nestled inside a bowl very comfortably.  Plus grates and other accessories.  My general routine is to quickly scrape everything when it's dry with a razor blade (this makes cleanup much easier), then soak it in the tub for at least a day.  Then I come back to it as I have time, scraping, scrubbing, and soaking as needed. 
One of the charcoal people.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
Good tips, and thanks.

As a follow up question I've got to ask how often you break down your kettles and give them a thorough cleaning?

My oldest kettle is a few years old and gets used a few times a week and I've never really done anything beyond scraping the big stuff off with an old wooden spoon.  :-[

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
I clean used kettles as I pick them up.  After that, I tend to do a better job of lightly cleaning them out on a regular basis.  As for my daily cookers......I pretty much don't clean them out, even though I feel like I should.  I feel that once a year would be a good habit to get into.  I know its been over two years since I cleaned my daily use OTP, and its getting pretty ugly on the inside.  Things are starting to cake to the underside of the lid, and the cleaning vanes are starting to get hung up when swiping the ash out.  Makes me think I should give it a good deep cleaning soon........one of these days   ;D
-Keith

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one :-[

Another reason I keep putting it off is that the lid on that OTG slid around a little and didn't develop a snug fit until after two weeks when it had about 6 or 7 good cooks under its belt. I don't know if it's that insulating gunk or if the prolonged heat rounded the bowl and lid, but I figure if it's not broke I won't fix it.