Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue 18.5 OTG  (Read 1658 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Blue 18.5 OTG
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
A few weeks ago i saw a 18.5 OTG that was blue! I emailed the seller and asked him to hold it till the weekend and he agreed (he did call me on Fri. to see if i still wanted it as he had a person wanting it and he held it!) I cleaned it up and used it on the 4th to do the baked potato's (sorry no pics as some moron left the camera at home ::)) which turned out awesome! One problem is the top vent is real loose and spins freely, what can i do to fix this?

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Blue 18.5 OTG
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »
Nice blue Ron....I have had a few kettles with a loose lid vent and haven't figured a way to get them any tighter.  Tapping it with a mallet has seemed to help but only to a point.  Hopefully someone else has the answer....

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
Very nice blue.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:02:54 AM »
Nice find

I have used a hammer and large punch to tighten them up......you just have to be gentle.  I place the lid upside down on a chunk of wood, and then use a fat drift punch and hammer from the inside.  It doesn't take much to tighten the rivet back up.  I had to do this on my 26er when I got it.  It was so loose that the vent would close just by opening and closing the lid.  I had two cooks ruined because of this.  The vent spun closed and I didn't notice.  I came back to check on the food and the closed vent had choked out the fire.  After the 2nd time, I had to find a solution.
-Keith

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:44:20 AM »
Discussion in this thread about loose vent, I did the same thing and it worked great.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-first-ss-performer/msg94896/

BTW, I love me a 18 OTG......
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
What's the vent code on that little guy? Could you post a shot of the vents in the bottom of the bowl please.  I had to take all the OTG stuff off my little brownie because the vents are thinner and longer on a G-code bowl and ash was coming out. I knew it was just a matter of time that a hot coal came out and found its way under my foot.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.