Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Veggie question  (Read 2787 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Veggie question
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Anyone have any experience or recipes grilling broccoli or Kale? At first I was thinking about olive oil salt and garlic in a foil packet, but then thought maybe the foil isn't necessary. Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

-AJ

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: Veggie question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
I like a grill basket.  Bed bath and beyond has them for 5-8 bucks.

EVOO plus salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder usually is what I use for most veggies.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
Buy the big stalks of it. Wash them then cut them in half to give it a flat side. Cut down the stalk some to get rid of the tough outside skin. Then soak them in cool water for about 20 mins. Take them out and shake the excess water off. Put them in a bowl and toss with a little evoo and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Then grill to desired doneness.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 05:51:25 AM »
For Broccoli I do exactly as Mike describes.  the Olive Oil/Balsamic is fantastic, and terrific on carrots as well.  I often do carrots and broccoli together.  (I also split the carrots lengthwise.)

For me, broccoli takes a while and I start it indirect over  a clean hot fire and finish it right over the coals.  I usually cook carrots and broccoli on a cast iron grate.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
I'm with Mike and G$ with the broccoli.  We eat a LOT of it, and it gets grilled probably 75% of the time.  I like to just hit it with the EVOO and some seasoning.  Then it get cooks indirect and thrown direct for a short time at the end.  Its pretty forgiving and tastes great.

I have a veggie basket as well, but I get frustrated with it because its a big rectangle with handles, and I use it in a round kettle.  I'd love to find one that where its cotour would follow the curved shape of the kettle
-Keith

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:48 AM »
I too love grilled broccoli and make it often.  I just toss it in itialian dressing and then put it on a tray made from aluminum foil.

I have a veggie basket as well, but I get frustrated with it because its a big rectangle with handles, and I use it in a round kettle.  I'd love to find one that where its cotour would follow the curved shape of the kettle

I couldn't agree more, the square basket is really clumsy on a kettle.  I make the aluminum foil tray shaped sort of like a charcoal basket.  That way it tucks nicely in along the side of the grill and leaves plenty of room to grill the meat.  8)
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
i've never grilled kale, but i grill a lot of romaine, iceberg, broccoli, onions, and corn.

for broccoli, i hit it with some evoo and kosher salt. indirect mostly, right on the grates

for lettuces, i cut in half (or wedge for iceberg) evoo, s&p, and freshly grated parm reg.
if i'm feeling adventurous, and it appears that my cheese is well stuck to lettuce, i'll grill over direct - cut side down.
otherwise i go indirect cut side up

for onions, core it out 3/4 of the depth. cut a plus sign or asterisk (*) almost all the way through (same depth as core hole), drop in a beef bouillon cube, pack the hole and cuts with butter. season with s&p, wrap in foil, grill indirect until the whole thing is soft and squishy.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:24:35 AM »
Thanks for all the pointers.

So far this week I've tried directly on the grate with some evoo, salt, pepper and did a reverse sear if you want to call it that. Just about a minute or two directly over the coals to get some color and it turned out great.

I also tried foil packets with lemon juice, evoo, butter, garlic, salt and pepper, and some parmesan cheese, then let it steam for about twenty to thirty minutes before slapping it directly onto the grill. I have to say foil is a little better but factoring in the extra work, I'd say it's a tie.

-AJ

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
Anyone have any experience or recipes grilling broccoli or Kale? At first I was thinking about olive oil salt and garlic in a foil packet, but then thought maybe the foil isn't necessary. Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Foil isn't necessary (except perhaps for peas. ;) )

I grill all kinds of veggies. Ad I have documentary evidence. ;D
n

Oil and salt & pepper. More seasoning if you want. Go for it!
kettles, smokers...

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
Brussel sprouts, now there's something I have to try out on the grill.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
MaxBob is right about the reuseable (enameled?) basket. Mine (BrandSmartUSA) is wok style round & I'll preheat it over direct then I've cooked the entire produce section on it (trial & error + would make for quite the time-lapse photo slides)

I foil wrap foods that are thrown on late as "intended" leftovers
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE