Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Corn on the cobb and baked potatos  (Read 3027 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Corn on the cobb and baked potatos
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
Ok so on the 4th i am doing ribs on the drum smoker and want to do corn on the cobb and baked potatos on a kettle, since i am a complete nube on doing these things how long do you do these for?  I plan on doing the potatos on the charcoal grate and the corn on the food grate. Thanks!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Corn on the cobb and baked potatos
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
Ron as far as the potatoes go, I rub a little evoo on them, foil them and put them on the coal grate for 1-1.25 hours. Then I give them a squeeze with the tongs to see if they are soft. Not very scientific, but so far it has worked. I also turn them around occasionally by reaching through the flip up section with the tongs.

I have just recently started roasting my sweet corn using a method that I read here but cannot find the thread to link. It goes something like this:
Pick out some nice ears of sweet corn.
Cut the tassles off, leave the husks on.
Soak corn in a pan or ziplock bag of salted water for an hour.
Pull corn out of water and cook indirect for about 30 minutes.
Let corn cool enough to touch, then pull husks and silks down around stem, no need to remove them entirely.
Grill the corn direct over medium/high heat, turning regularly for 5-10 minutes or you have reached your desired level of char.
Serve.
The husks will dry out and smolder while you  are cooking direct, imparting a nice smokiness to the corn. You can remove the husk and stems when you serve or leave it as a handle if eating outdoors! ;)

Hopefully whoever I copied this method from will show up and straighten out the parts that I have missed. It makes some damn good sweet corn though! :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »
 Depends a little on how & how many pieces you're doing.......for a bit of char on the corn, above is a great way to go.....I usually don't get to 'case the wife gets to it & wraps w/ butter & spices most always.........that way, 30~ min. 300+ roll a few times, near, but not right over coals......

Taters, if say  medium Yukons which I like, oil, S & P, garlic powder, wrap.......down in NEAR or even on the coals (depends on if you want to  tangle with pulling the grate aways in to rotate), maybe 45~1 hr. if a decent size coal pack.....a bit longer if it's larger taters, if they're huge bakers, might be as long as 2 hours...........
I checked one time, when I knew they were about the way we like them, and got 210f temp, pretty fluffy at that point, if you like a bit of chunkiness, go less.........

If it's just a few pieces, like so maybe:

If more, maybe spread out the taters across the grate & use coals on both sides?

The more stuff,  the more creative the setups....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »
Recently I've been brushing the taters with EVOO, salt and pepper. I stopped wrapping them when I discovered how awesome they taste. I just put them on the top grate, direct-medium heat.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:32:44 AM »
Good thread!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:52 AM »
1911Ron, all mentioned will work. I have cooked lots of both.

I will do the taters indirect with the EVOO and Kosher Salt(Tony's if you like a little spice).
Lid temp is usually 350 and takes 1-1.5 hours depending on the size.

Corn, I have tried all methods. I now only do it this way. Direct heat all sides till charred, then to the cooler.
It steams itself. With the corn being fresh, there is enough moisture content, thus in the cooler it steams and finishes.
I have found the soaking method takes to long. I have converted many to this method.

Gunsmokers

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
What we do is we soak the corn in the husk for a couple hours. We set up an indirect heat (one chimney full of lump charcoal). When it's time to put the corn on we put in a hand full of hickory chips (directly on the coals). We don't foil - just husks are left on. every 15-20 minutes we rotate the corn and use a sprayer to water down the corn and add more hickory chips. Corn stays on a total of 1:15-1:30 hour/minutes. A sweet smokey taste is the result. We tried just soaking and NOT spraying, but there was no smoke flavor even after heavy smoking the whole time. The watering process helps the smoke seep into the husk and make conatct with the kernels. Try it sometime - I think you will enjoy  :D
Cowboy Action Shooters that like to make fire and smoke on the Weber Kettle.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »

And.......if you want really smokey corn, just dispense with those pesky cobbs altogether & do up the shaved kernels.....

REALLY picks up the smoke this way......

See Here also:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/smoked-corn-and-black-bean-salsa/msg13616/#msg13616
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
For my past couple cooks I've husked the corn.  Coated in a butter and seasoning mix...salt, pepper, and or whatever else you like.  Cook on direct heat for about 15 min turning every 4 min or so.  Has turned out pretty well. 

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
All hail Corn OFF the cobb.