Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Honey Rub Chicken  (Read 2295 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Honey Rub Chicken
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
The Mrs and I are heading out this evening for a little canoe ride, and it was my job to cook up the picnic dinner.  I had a mega pack of chicken thighs in the fridge and a new rub to try out.

On my business trips, I have been frequenting BBQ shops as time permits to find NOS parts and to find some new rub flavors.  One that I recently picked up is Butchers BBQ Honey Rub.  This stuff is truly addicting.  Perfect balance of sweet, salty, hint of hot.  I could just put raw spoonfuls of the stuff in my gullet - its that good.

Took the skin off the chicken thighs, put some olive oil on them, and dosed liberally with rub.  My cooking set up is one that my bbq master guru (buckie) taught me.  Note the "buckie brick".  I used royal oak with 2 chucks of cherry wood (thanks cuda dan).  Left the lid on and cooked until my trusty thermopen said its time to take them off:

Another angle of the buckie brick method:

Once I brought the chicken inside, I sprinkled some more rub on and covered with foil.  The payoff:

This is the third cook I have done since my recent lid modification.  One of the most useful mods I have done - really keeps the lid out of the way when tending to the fire.  Highly recommended!

Made up a garbanzo bean salad, some fresh fruit, and the chicken.  The Mrs is bringing the Chardonnay.  Should be a nice evening in the Sierras.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Honey Rub Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »

Canoeing between the pines on a nice evening w/ great food......

.....done on a Weber.................... ;D

Nice cookup......enjoy the ride !!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
Looks great. Would you please Explain the buckie brick method and its purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »

tb80 - the buckie brick method (thats what I call it anyway) goes something like this:  Dump a load of coals on one side of your kettle and position the hinged grate above the fire.  Using a fire brick, keep the grate propped open.  This achieves 2 benefits: 1) you can easily add wood chips or additional coals directly on top of the existing fire and 2) the fire brick acts as a heat shield.  The heat from your fire will go straight up and circulate in the dome of the kettle.  The food closest to the brick will cook at the same temperature as all other pieces.  If you look at the pictures in my post, all of those pieces cooked in the same amount of time even though some pieces were closer to the fire than others.  This is because the brick shields the food from the fire and allows it to cook by convection rather than by the direct heat it would be exposed to without the brick. 

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

Gee wiz......never thought of that......I just put the brick in there to keep from fiddlin' with the flip up........

.......learn somethin' new every day............... :-[
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
Looks delicious. I should try the buckie method.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »

tb80 - the buckie brick method (thats what I call it anyway) goes something like this:  Dump a load of coals on one side of your kettle and position the hinged grate above the fire.  Using a fire brick, keep the grate propped open.  This achieves 2 benefits: 1) you can easily add wood chips or additional coals directly on top of the existing fire and 2) the fire brick acts as a heat shield.  The heat from your fire will go straight up and circulate in the dome of the kettle.  The food closest to the brick will cook at the same temperature as all other pieces.  If you look at the pictures in my post, all of those pieces cooked in the same amount of time even though some pieces were closer to the fire than others.  This is because the brick shields the food from the fire and allows it to cook by convection rather than by the direct heat it would be exposed to without the brick. 

Winz

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know. I will have to try that.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
Winz,
Looks like you hit it out of the park again! Your welcome for cherry wood the least I could for the score!
I put my brick next to fire, but now I will try it on the grill. What was the cooking time for the thighs?
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
Looks great Winz.    Butchers makes some great products for Qing.