Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fathers Day cook: Kettle "fried chicken, turds, oysters, bananas  (Read 3703 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
This:

Turned into this:

This:

Turned into this:

[insert image of amazingly good smoked turds and tater turds here (how'd I forget a picture of these?)]

Then a dozen oysters:

Finally, dessert:

All washed down with whiskey sours and beer.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
Re: Fathers Day cook: Kettle "fried chicken, turds, oysters, bananas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »
Im gonna have to try the chicken who woulda thought. indirect i imagine?

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
The fried chicken is o e of my favorite things on the kettle!  It all looks good and I'm stuffed from the brisket I made today..

I love the smell of a evening cook...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »

Ya know.......I recall awhile back you saying something like: " I'm just not all that accomplished a cook...."  or   "I'm not all that confident in my grilling abilities....."

That'll be enough of that trash talk......every single piece of that looks great !!!!!

Oh, and I can visualize a good batch of 'Turds w/o done pics................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:06 AM »
Im gonna have to try the chicken who woulda thought. indirect i imagine?

Yes sir, I was running around 375-400 indirect. This was the juiciest chicken to date. It was so good!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:29 AM »

Ya know.......I recall awhile back you saying something like: " I'm just not all that accomplished a cook...."  or   "I'm not all that confident in my grilling abilities....."

That'll be enough of that trash talk......every single piece of that looks great !!!!!

Oh, and I can visualize a good batch of 'Turds w/o done pics................

Yeah, that sounds like me. The more I grill, the more confident that I get. I have the turds down. I really love the combination of the chorizo/bacon/jalepeno. They work well together.

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »
Everything looks awesome!! Well done, indeed. Love me some oysters on the grill.
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »
Is it wrong that I now want fried chicken at 7:30 in the morning?  :)

Would you mind explaining your chicken prep and cooking procedure? Would love to try this sometime!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Is it wrong that I now want fried chicken at 7:30 in the morning?  :)

Would you mind explaining your chicken prep and cooking procedure? Would love to try this sometime!

Nothing wrong with that. I just finished the last piece for lunch!

It was very easy. I used a store bought breading:

I first rinsed the chicken and let them drip dry. Then I put the breading in a bowl and put a piece of chicken in and turned it until it was nicely coated. After all of them were coated I let them sit until the 4/5 full chimney was ready. In the meantime I tossed them into the breading one more time.

Then I put them on the grill, indirect at around 375-400. I'd periodically move them around to make sure every surface was getting nice and crispy looking. I'd guess that they cooked about 1.5 hours. Our guests weren't ready so when I pulled the chicken off I tented it under foil. It was probably tented for a good 30 minutes. I think that really helped bring extra moisture into the chicken. It was still nice and hot when we finally ate it.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
That chicken looks amazing, I'm going to have to try this too.  I love some fried chicken, and this looks amazing.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »

Yeah, that sounds like me. The more I grill, the more confident that I get. I have the turds down. I really love the combination of the chorizo/bacon/jalepeno. They work well together.

You may yet pry me loose from the compulsion to put some form of cream cheese in each one, no matter what !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 05:51:37 AM »

You may yet pry me loose from the compulsion to put some form of cream cheese in each one, no matter what !!!!!

My wife and son can't have cheese so you we make due. You really should try the chorizo at least once though!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
Hey Tim, do you use pre-cooked Chorizo or raw? Some of the raw stuff I've used for other things is kind of soupy, and thinking a slice of cooked might work better. I can;t quite tell from the pics what is wrapped up there. Either way I'm planning to do this next weekend for sure.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 07:28:19 AM »
Hey Tim, do you use pre-cooked Chorizo or raw? Some of the raw stuff I've used for other things is kind of soupy, and thinking a slice of cooked might work better. I can;t quite tell from the pics what is wrapped up there. Either way I'm planning to do this next weekend for sure.

I've always used raw chorizo. Typically it is the Primo brand that is in casings. I take it out of the casings and stuff it in the pepper.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
Good to know - thanks. I've used the bulk-packaged raw before, and it tends to be pretty runny when heated. I'll look for the links and unwrap them as you suggest.