Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Visiting the dark side.  (Read 2199 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Visiting the dark side.
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »

Okay, I will admit I've been quietly dismissive about black kettles and the newer Performers . But I picked this up for a friend, and took it for a spin tonight, and it's pretty nice! I love the greater height, and it seems like there is more storage underneath. Is that why folks prefer them? Go ahead, speak up-- don't let us SS snobs intimidate you...

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Visiting the dark side.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »
I like using my dad's '05 well enough but don't deny that accessing the gas and ignition from the top is meaningfully easier than from behind a little flip up cover located at crotch level.

The newer design's higher table height is frankly better IMO, and if the thermoplastic turns anyone off, the table's design is more straightforward for hacking with a wood or possibly faux-granite replacement.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
One more thing. I thought this thread would be about gassers or about another brand. I generally like all the colors but mostly for the diversity.

If everyone only saw reds/blues ... they'd be screaming for a black, which goes with everything. Black is the perfect complement to the silver of screws and bolts and of accessories, to the gray tables and accents used in modern Performers. My back deck is a medium-dark gray with black railings and a black kettle would go great there.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
+1 on the height. +1 on the storage underneath. +1 on the way you can access the bin without raising the lid. (How many times have I filled up the top of the SS only to remember I needed something in the bin: glove, smoke wood, etc. ) +1 on the front access gas, for much the same reason as bin access.

+100 on black!  ;D

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with the new ones at all , the side tables will stain if your not careful that's about it, you can sand and repaint them , comes out really nice .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »
I'm taller...6'3" and I need/want the extra height.   Feels natural vs bending down with a shorter kettle.  I type this as some fried chicken and potatoes are going in front of me...

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
I like them both. They each have their pros and cons. My 2009 was my first kettle, and I am partial to it as it is the one I learned how to cook with charcoal.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »
I don't have a Performer yet but I do concur that blaik is beautiful.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
I know what you mean. I picked up a newer performer for my buddy and a SS performer for myself on the same day. The SS needed major rehab, but the newer one just needed a good cleaning. I cooked about a weeks worth of meals on the newer one before I handed it over and really started to like it.  That propane assist spoiled me. As far as the height, the newer performer tables still aren't as tall as the tables on my OTP. Once I get gas assist added to that, I think I'll have the perfect daily use grill.

As far as my SS, I've been plotting a plan to make new lower frame pieces to raise it a few inches
-Keith

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »
OoPEZoO what is the height of your table on your OTP?  I thought the newer Performers were high..

I love the smell of a evening cook...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
Pez, you're not the only WKCer working on a way to put a 'lift kit' on the SS.  Hopefully y'all can give it some trials and share your results with everyone!
One of the charcoal people.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
OoPEZoO what is the height of your table on your OTP?  I thought the newer Performers were high..

An SS is 29.5" table height, my OTP tables are 33.5".  I don't know what the newer performers are, but I believe they are slightly lower than the OTP tables. I could be wrong, I didn't want to get too attached  ;D
-Keith

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
Yeah, my newer Performer is 33".  About perfect for me! 

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
Mike I recently grab an '08 performer in blue. Beautiful blue. I have two ss performers and have to say I like the height of the 08.

I have an extra ss frame sitting in the garage and was thinking of using it to raise one of mine.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
Pez, you're not the only WKCer working on a way to put a 'lift kit' on the SS.  Hopefully y'all can give it some trials and share your results with everyone!

Let me get it burning charcoal again first.  ;D
I have new cross supports welded into the upper frame.  It's all been primed, painted, and back on its wheels. I just need to clean the bowl and get the gas assist all put back together. Once it's a cooker, I'll start thinking about welding up a new lower frame. Honestly. I need to do it, as there is quite a bit of cancer rust from the inside. I "fixed" it as best I could, but it's only a matter of time before it starts getting ugly again
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:04:13 PM by OoPEZoO »
-Keith