Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cumin v Turmeric  (Read 1877 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Cumin v Turmeric
« on: June 06, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

I recently came across a pork rub recipe from "Squeal Like a Pig."  The recipe is as follows --

2 cups sugar; 2 cups brown sugar; 2 cups kosher salt; 2 cups black pepper; 1 cup chili powder; 1 cup paprika; 3/4 cup turmeric; 1/4 cup cayenne; 1/4 cup garlic powder; 1/4 cup onion powder.

Without getting into a debate on homemade v store-bought, I focused in on the amount of turmeric.  I researched turmeric, and according to the websites I visited, turmeric is used primarily to add color, while cumin is used to add flavor.  The websites also cautioned that when using turmeric, start out with very small amounts, and add more depending on how much you like it, or use less if you don't like it.  If the turmeric doesn't add flavor, and only adds color, does the amount really make a difference?

I have rub recipes that call for turmeric AND cumin.  So, I'm wondering...if turmeric is used to add color, and doesn't have any flavor, why would I want to add a yellow color to my pork?  To me, cumin has more of a flavor bang, and the whole thing with rubs is to add flavor, and maybe bark, to the meat.

I'm thinking that maybe I could leave out the turmeric, and add a teaspoon or two of cumin for more flavor.

This is simply a "I'm curious about what others think" question, and not a "I have to know this or else" question.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cumin v Turmeric
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
I don't use tumeric but just checked the wife's supply.
It seems to have a very subtle "pine" aroma and taste.
Label says more about adding color than taste.

I would think that you could leave it out.
Be careful adding cumin as it's a strong player.

Also your rub recipe is for a huge amount.
I would do 25% of it for a try out before committing to a large batch.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
MUSTARD
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »
Rub for a Big Batch...

Personally I'd do half that amount, except it seems sugar based.
I add sugar @ final basting or it tends to scorch & burn on longer rib cooks (too much bark, ineffective bite)

As far as small amount tint, flavor & cost effective Mustard (dry or table style) I prefer
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

Did you happen by Allrecipes in your research?

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Turmeric/detail.aspx?evt19=1&prop24=hn_slide2_Turmeric

I've fiddled with turmeric in the olden days when making up marinades & such.....juice of two lemons, juice of 3 beer cans, 1/4 cup turmeric, etc.
It can have an effect on texture of meats, color yes definitely & will act to change the flavor of other ingredients........kinda will  deaden out real spicy  things that are mixed with it & bring  a deeper grounding to the whole event.....what people call "earthy"...............if you go overboard with the stuff things will taste (& have the texture of) real paste-y (ask me how I know this !!!).................

It's in there for a reason, but can just be left out.....the other stuff will be more noticeable then & as Mike says.....looks like a lot of sugar...........& D.D. is correct about cumin, careful.......

Interesting mixup.....2C K.salt & 2C B. pepper is not equal in weight, but maybe that's for a reason.....the folks probably tested it out pretty good, but maybe that would be a good idea to make a small batch 1st & see what you think?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Good intel on turmeric, Buckie.
Also good catch on the black pepper....seems out of balance.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
BluDawg from Smoke Ring & Bretheren uses basically S & P for everything & goes by weight; I got that from him.................Kosher salt is really fluffy & doesn't come close, by volume.............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 03:11:12 AM »
As ALWAYS, some real good advice.

Alton Brown always insists on using weight and not volume when putting together a recipe.  I guess maybe we should add a small scale to our cooking arsenal, in addition to the gazillion measuring spoons and cups.

The rub recipe is very close, in terms of ingredients, to other rub recipes that I have.  It's not unique at all.  So, I'm thinking that I'll hold off making it for now. 

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and advice.