Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rolled Pork Roast on the spit .  (Read 1598 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Rolled Pork Roast on the spit .
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »
A few quick shots of the yumminess that is was .

I rubbed it down with olive oil and seasoned with my rub, I let the rub do its thing for a couple hours , I find this helps  in developing a crust on the outside

I set up for indirect heat with a small water pan .

I basted with a mixture of Beaver brand deli mustard mixed with honey and a splash of balsamic for some addition twang,  I did this only 3 times during the cook, I don't like opening during the magic :)

I was running at about 220 , with the OT just cracked , top vent wide open a chunk of applewood for smoke.

Got the crust I wanted and a nice pink smoke ring.

Total cook time 3 hrs , 2 chunks of wood and two char baskets full did the trick

I mixed some of the left over meat with some green verde salsa for tacos the next night and did stir fry last night to finish it off . A 4 pound roast for around $ 13.00 and it made 3 meals for the family, a real value and so good .

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rolled Pork Roast on the spit .
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
Looks great, I wish I had a rotisserie. Why just to 2 chucks of wood????
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »

Looks great, I wish I had a rotisserie. Why just to 2 chucks of wood????

Two chunks is plenty for the small window of time a cut like that will take the smoke , after the skin or crust is formed , juices stay in and smoke stays out , more wood beyond that point is a waste .. At least that's what I've always understood .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:33:12 PM »
Thanks, I have put a lot of smoke after the crust has been set and it can taste funny.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »

Thanks, I have put a lot of smoke after the crust has been set and it can taste funny.

It will do that Dan, check out the 3-2-1 method it will give you the thinking behind the concept

Esto Perpetua