Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokenator -- Test Burn  (Read 2515 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Smokenator -- Test Burn
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

I bought the Smokenator 1000.  I'm doing a test burn.  So, far it's performing as advertised.

I'm a little nerdy when it comes to accessories and my equipment.  I'm right handed, and my Performer Silver has the lid rest on the left, which is fine because I'm right-handed.  The Smokenator instructions say to place the lid with the lid vent opposite the Smokenator.  I set up the Smokenator on the right side of the bowl, and that means that I have to spin the lid around so that the lid vent is opposite the Smokenator, which means that I'm no longer facing the dome thermometer, and I find that annoying...I told you I was nerdy.  I thought about setting up the Smokenator on the left side of the bowl, on the side with the lid rest; but, that makes it even more awkward to add water, check the coals, and so on.  I'm thinking that my WSM is looking better for anything low 'n slow, while I'll continue to use my kettle for grilling, and for anything that isn't low 'n slow.

I thought early on that the Smokenator was a solution looking for a problem.  I think I've confirmed my own suspicions.  Still, it does open up more space on the cooking grate.  Maybe, as someone else posted, I'll just forget the rinky-dink water pan, use a foil pan with water under the meat on the coal grate, use the Smokenator as some of you are using fire bricks to hold the coals to the side.

Smokenator, the barbecue world's version of the 8-track.  Yep, I had that, too.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smokenator -- Test Burn
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
I bought the smokenator a few years back, if you have another smoker like a wsm there is no need to have one.  I like it but it certainly is not necessary.  Regarding a water pan, for sure, get a larger one and put it on the grate, this will allow you to put more coals in the smokenator.  You will have to move it when you add more fuel but that shouldn't be a big deal.

I keep mine because I paid full price for it and will never get my money's worth by selling.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:23:47 AM »
Lots of ways to set what you want up. Obviously you gotta find whatever works for you. Regarding the lid bale, you might try the accessory Slide-Aside that clips on the bowl (part # 8411) http://store.weber.com/items/detail/1399 Some have said it leans the lid back a bit more than the one that comes built into the Performers.

I'm no longer facing the dome thermometer,

I don't see how you could, no matter what ... the lid thermometer's inline with the handle, which is "horizontal" when standing on either long side of the grill so as to meet with you hand, so it's essentially always aimed L or R anyway, yes? (I've always thought they should place the thermo perpendicular to the handle ...)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
According to the instructions, the lid vent should be opposite the Smokenator.  If I put the Smokenator on the right side, and rotate the lid so that the lid vent is opposite the Smokenator, then the lid vent will be to my left, and the lid thermometer will be on the opposite side of where I stand, with the fold out table to my right.

In any event, the test burn told me what I needed to know.  I noticed a significant amount of moisture in the bowl, so much so that there was a small puddle forming between the blades of the ash sweeper.  That may have been due to the fact that I closed all the vents to choke the remaining coals.

Anyway, I rationalize the purchase by telling myself that the Smokenator gives me another alternative course of action for low 'n slow cooking.  It'll probably collect a bit of dust in the shed.  I'll use it occasionally, but not much.

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
Why are you putting the smokenator on the Right? I've always set it up on the left on my performer.
This way the food goes on the right next to the table and the probes don't have to go as far for the thermometers. (And they don't need to go over the heat source.

I get a nice constant 225F for 3 or 4 hours before needing to fiddle with it too much.
Its easier when you are adding coals in every couple hours to add lit coals.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
Why are you putting the smokenator on the Right? I've always set it up on the left on my performer.
This way the food goes on the right next to the table and the probes don't have to go as far for the thermometers. (And they don't need to go over the heat source.

I get a nice constant 225F for 3 or 4 hours before needing to fiddle with it too much.
Its easier when you are adding coals in every couple hours to add lit coals.

I thought about that.  It just seemed that it would be awkward tending to the coals on the "hinge" side of the bowl.  But maybe that's the way to go.  I didn't think about the proximity to the table.  Thanks, Doughboy.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
Lid removal = heat loss, but not the end of the world. Here's the way I think about it:

- A quick peek or simple food flip on the grate = use the lid bale

- Anything much more involved and the lid's removed. Deal with the resultant bigger heat loss by opening up vents all the way for 10 mins, then close whichever back down to where you had them.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch