Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4 Days Of Cookin'  (Read 4161 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
4 Days Of Cookin'
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Saturday:

Beef back ribs - only done these once before.  It was a rack instead of cut up and I wound up with dry chewy beef.  Got these cut up already on sale at the asian supermarket:

Picked this up recently and am using it here for the first time:

After about 2.5 hours at 250f...water got added to the water pan underneath when a good bark formed...at about 1.5 hours:

Foiled at 2.5 hours and went for about another 3 hours.  I heated up some focaccia to snack on while waiting:

I glazed some ribs with a couple different sauces and left some naked:

The meat was tasty....chewy for the most part and sticking to the bone - fail, as the kids say.  Not sure if I started off with not enough meat on the bone, cooked them not long enough or too long....or what.

Sunday - My wife's birthday:

Chicken wings in a brine of water, salt, cider vinegar, habanero hot sauce and molasses.  Lamb loin chops coated thinly with light olive oil followed by salt and pepper:

My setup for the smoking kettle:

And for the grilling kettle:

My fuel...Nature's Own from Costco for 11.99 a bag and Nature's Grilling from WalMart for 8.47 a bag:

A nice day to be in the backyard:

The wings and lamb after about 45 minutes or so of low heat smoke:

Did the wings first then the lamb and a few pork chops with no smoke for the one child who will not eat anything smoked:

Did up a mustard sauce with wine, butter, tarragon and table cream....with a little brushetta as well:

Day three:

Full rack of side ribs with the flap and chine bone piece separated.  Coated with a little light olive oil and some of the Piri Piri seasoning...first time trying this on pork:

After about 2.5 hours at 275f with a mix of black cherry and hickory:

Foiled with meat side down ala Mr Trigg:

I foiled for about 2 hours then sauced with a maple chipolte bbq sauce and back on the kettle for about 30 minutes - done:

Would have liked to have seen the smoke ring darker but otherwise these were okay - pull off the bone:

Day Four - today:

Started with a pork butt just shy of 10 pounds:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:23:33 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: 4 Days Of Cookin'
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Used some of this:

I just got the Jammin' Jamaican Jerk the other day and am using it for the first time - I have previously only used fine rub for Jerk.  Most often I make my own.  The Fiery Habanero Roasted Garlic I have used before - while hot it is not too hot by any means.  Both the spice blends have salt and sugar down on the list of ingrediants so all I did was lightly salt the butt then apply the rubs:

The butt this morning after about a 16 hour stretch in the fridge:

I have this in a 22.5 WSM parked on the front porch running at about 250f.  Got some rum oak cask chunks lined around the outside of the charcoal ring ala Harry Soo and a few bourbon ones from last cook on top of the coals.  I am gonna take this to the pull stage.  I often take it just shy of that and slice it when doing Jerk Pork.  The weather people are calling for rain, the cover is not on the gazebo thingy out back so I am here:

I will add photos later.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:55:19 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
That looks fantastic .... and delicious!!

I will have to pick up some of those new Club House seasonings.
However, the Costco here in Barrie does not carry that Piri Piri stuff ... not enough culture up here.  :o ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
That looks fantastic .... and delicious!!

I will have to pick up some of those new Club House seasonings.
However, the Costco here in Barrie does not carry that Piri Piri stuff ... not enough culture up here.  :o ;)

Some was some wasn't.  I learn hopefully.

We live so close that I am thinking an exchange of bbq care packages may be in order.  Ever try Rufus Teague touch o heat?                   

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
We live so close that I am thinking an exchange of bbq care packages may be in order.  Ever try Rufus Teague touch o heat?

That would be cool! Never tried that brand.

I still have some of these CH seasonings that I picked up at Costco in 2012. Pretty good stuff.
The chipotle-mango one is fantastic with cod.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
Tried all 3.  The chipolte mango is something I use in spice blends extensively.  The bouron pepper was okay but as I recall the first ingrediant was some sort of grain powder or something.  The smoked applewood was way to strong for me...I got it when I was trying to smoke food with Bradley smoker.  What a pain in the butt.  Only used that smoked applewood twice - now I can put smoke to food real good and not have to think about that stuff.  That chipolte mango is always on hand though, and usually one in reserve.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »
Awesome cook.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Okay here is a shot of the butt finished:

I did not get this off till 3am and to bed after pulling at 4am.  I put the meat side down on that piece of paper after about 4 hours and the rest of the cook - 12 hours!!! was the fat side up.  Why it did not turn pitch black is beyond me.  Most of the cook was done at 250f and the last 2 hours was at 275f.  Wow.  This butt went to an internal of 198f.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »
Wow, Mr Hoss you have quite a portfolio of cooks. Thanks for sharing!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »

Nice Cookups all down the line !!!!

The pork ribs looked esp. sharp !!!!

For your beef ribs you might try doing what you did, in those same timings, but when you go to foil, prop them up on top of small, low cookie racks in foil pans & add some beef stock to the bottom of the pasn......the racks keep them out of the liquid & turning mushy, foil over the top of the pan & steam / braize them for your 2nd timing......should keep them from drying out pretty well............

Pan rack like so:

Brisket, but it works similar for the ribs..........

Oh, and the lamb chops & sauce !!!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
Cooks look mighty tasty!  I wish the costco by me carried the Sugar Maple leaf, I hear that stuff is awesome.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
That all looks great, especially your wings!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »
Nice job on your 4 days of cookin!!!
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
Dude ! If your just learning .....way to knock it out the park ..... Maybe try braising your beef ribs after smoking and then finish on the grill , for just  a char and I think you,ll dig it !

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs