Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Your Very First Kettle Cook  (Read 3620 times)

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
Your Very First Kettle Cook
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
I'm brand new to the world of charcoal grilling and just nabbed a new Gold Series Performer this afternoon. I haven't fired it up yet and before I do, I'm curious to hear what you guys cooked when you broke in your very first Kettle. Any suggestions for a fun starting cook? Is there a standard Kettle initiation that I should be aware of?  ;D
I'm new to grilling so go easy on me.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Your Very First Kettle Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
I like to get a new or "new to me" kettle really hot the first time that I fire it up to burn off any chemical or cleaner residue.
Next I like to cook something that will put a good coating of vaporized fat and smoke all over the inside  of the kettle. Sort of gunking it up but with MY gunk! Chicken is good for that, or a bunch of burgers and ABTs!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
Roast pork, nothing does crackling like a kettle
Of course you'll have to do all the other trimmings as well, roast vegies , Apple sauce, gravy

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
For grilling- steaks, brats, or burgers. For low and slow ribs or the forgiving pork butt if you got time and mouths to feed. Anything cooked with your effort on a shiny new toy will automatically taste better. Make sure to report back.

My first charcoal cook as an independent adult was a small 8 rib rack of lamb, grilled indirect on a CGA. For my OTG first cook, I think I cooked some marinated tri tip from Trader Joes.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
My first cook on mt OTG, after years of only using a gasser, was grilled shrimp.  I followed that, a few days later, with some nice ribeyes.  Cook whatever you want.  I guarantee it'll be good. Have fun and welcome yo the club.
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
Chicken thighs was my first kettle cook, lots of fat very forgiving.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
My first was hamburgers, they turned out great considering i used to use a crappy grill and they turned out so so.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
Marshmallows when I was 5ish

Still have the kettle.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
My first Weber Kettle cook was on my first and only Weber I've ever had and still have and use all the time for every cook. I made up some hotdogs because I wanted to try out the grill and nobody was home since everyone was out Christmas shopping. I didn't really care what I grilled up as long as I got a chance to get something cooked up on it. I wanted a Weber for a while after using another brand....never want to use any other grill! The control I can get with the kettle design and the flexability makes it the perfect design for me.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to throw a package of extra-thick cut bacon on tomorrow and see how it goes. I have thermometers coming so I'll wait to do any major cooks until I have those in hand.
I'm new to grilling so go easy on me.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
First thing I cooked on my 18" kettle back in '74 was baby back ribs. They came out really good. I'll never forget them and so the die was cast. :D
kettles, smokers...

davethepom

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
We cooked a stuffed chook the day we scored our old redhead from the inlaws, and have never looked back!

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
My first kettle cook was just this past weekend, I just cooked burgers and brats. The burgers dripped on the coals and cooled things down, but with a bit of patience everything turned out great.  Planning to cook some ribs and ABT's this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:27:23 PM by blackdog1101 »
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere