Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: In praise of firebrick  (Read 9161 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: In praise of firebrick
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
I was just over at El Dorado Nursery yesterday picking up some Grow Boxes for the summer vegetables, Where would this fired arts supply store be located at?

Mirkwood - I got it at Alpha Fired Arts - just off 80 at the Madison exit.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
I got some firebricks at my local landscape stoneyard.  Love 'em.

And Tim in PA, when I was there I was asking for ideas for plausible pizza stones...  I asked what site-built pizza ovens used for floors, and the guy told me that his company sometimes carries high-temp concrete, but it always sells out really quick.  Do you have any thoughts about this?  If we could source some high-temp concrete, we could build some forms for pizza stones...

I'm sure I have access to it but it would probably be cost prohibitive in small batches. Sounds like the best bet for a pizza stone is the kiln shelves mentioned in this thread.

Your idea makes my mind wonder though...

Thanks, Tim.  I haven't heard of kiln shelves before this thread, but I will look for them around me.  Seems like the pizza stones I use keep breaking on me.  Currently holding out hope on a Pampered Chef stone that my MIL was kind enough to share with me. 
One of the charcoal people.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
I bought  six pack of Rutland fire bricks at Ace hardware. No complaints here. They were $20.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
Currently holding out hope on a Pampered Chef stone that my MIL was kind enough to share with me.

Mike - the picture below is what just one pizza session did to my wife's pampered chef stone.  I highly recommend getting a kiln shelf or other alternative

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »

Mirkwood - I got it at Alpha Fired Arts - just off 80 at the Madison exit.

Winz

I looked it up and turns out that place is less than a mile (as the crow flies) from the house I grew up in,,
Gotta love it.. Thanks for the heads up Winz
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
To Hank and Terry and anyone else that has used the specific fire bricks mentioned in the original post:

When researching, I found that there seem to be two types of what people commonly call "fire bricks". 

The first kind have an insulative property. in other words, you can place them next to a fire and they will try to remain cool to the opposite side.  These might line a residential fireplace or the outside of an outdoor fire place.  The other type is a conductive brick, which is intended to absorb and retain heat.  These are what you would line the interior and especially the bottom baking surface of a pizza oven so that the crust gets done.

For my purposes, I would prefer the former - a brick that does not conduct or radiate heat to the opposite side.  Long story short, is that the type of bricks in the OP?.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »
To Hank and Terry and anyone else that has used the specific fire bricks mentioned in the original post:

When researching, I found that there seem to be two types of what people commonly call "fire bricks". 

The first kind have an insulative property. in other words, you can place them next to a fire and they will try to remain cool to the opposite side.  These might line a residential fireplace or the outside of an outdoor fire place.  The other type is a conductive brick, which is intended to absorb and retain heat.  These are what you would line the interior and especially the bottom baking surface of a pizza oven so that the crust gets done.

For my purposes, I would prefer the former - a brick that does not conduct or radiate heat to the opposite side.  Long story short, is that the type of bricks in the OP?.

Interesting.  Now, I am wondering which type I have that I use in the KettlePizza adaptor modifications. Hoping the latter.
Thanks for the info.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »
...  Long story short, is that the type of bricks in the OP?.
I put one on the stove and turned the smallest burner on the lowest setting. Initial temperature reading is 34°F. After about 5 minutes, the cold side had risen to 48°F and the side facing the flame was now 210°F. I would say that conductivity was way lower than cast iron. I'm not sure how this compares to insulating or conducting firebrick. It seems to be relatively good insulation to me. They list application for lining stoves so I would think it is intended to be used where insulating value is a benefit. (I think you would use it on the inside of an outdoor fireplace so you could use common brick on the outside where it is protected from heat.)
kettles, smokers...

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
Thanks Hank that answers it.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)