Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2005 Performer Restoration  (Read 1495 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
2005 Performer Restoration
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
I just completed this the other week.  I always wanted a performer and the first one that popped up was this guy that was in decent condition but still needed some work.

I was able to get him to come down on the price since the back plate was rusted out, there was some rust on the bottom shelving, front caster's stuck in the lock position, 8in wheels had some holes in them, and it was dirty.  I didn't get good pictures of the damage but the lid needed some work too.

It's a 2005

I ended up taking it completely apart to clean the kettle, gas assist, and frame etc.  I found a bunch of scuffs on the frame, so I ended up sanding it down and the plastic shelving ends some and painting it.  I sanded down the shelving and ash can to paint as well.  Replaced the casters and the 8in wheels. I also replaced the back panel, it took 2 months to get the panel but it looks great on it.

The lid was rusted in some spots, so I sanded those spots down and I didn't want it to rust anymore.  So i actually painted the whole lid with some high temp paint, and then sanded down all the excess paint so all that was left was on the previous rust spots and it blends in pretty good.  I also replaced the handle with a Marty Leach custom handle  with Sublime since my friends and I call my deck the Sublime Smoking Deck. 

Bought a camping propane tank and a cover for it and now it sits on the deck nice and happy happy happy and looking good.

And the first cook on the performer.  2 nekkid fatties and a few short ribs.

No pictures of the finished food because I was hungry and forgot to take pictures.  >:(
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: 2005 Performer Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
It looks great
That's my favourite style Performer
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
2005 Performer Restoration
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »
Nice work!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »
Great job!

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
Excellent job
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 06:00:05 AM »
Great job, looks fabulous. I've found a blue like this one on cl that I'm thinking about getting!! ::)
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace