Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Early Single Vent Smokey Joe  (Read 4613 times)

Blacky924

• WKC Brave
Early Single Vent Smokey Joe
« on: October 19, 2023, 04:58:04 PM »
Just got my hands on this beauty. Appears to be single vent Smokey joe with metal lid handle but the lid handle has rounded straps. Hadn’t come across any single vent rounded straps to lid handle as all I have seen are square.

I was thinking late 50s but would be good to get some more info if anyone is able to date it accurately. Seems to have only had a few cooks under its belt and in decent condition [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bear

• WKC Ranger
Re: Early Single Vent Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 12:12:30 AM »
I think late 50's but, could be early 60's
Congratulations. Someone here will know
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 12:24:56 AM by bear »

Blacky924

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 01:42:45 AM »

I think late 50's but, could be early 60's
Congratulations. Someone here will know

Thanks mate, haven’t seen another single vent Smokey that is newer than 1960. I would have assumed 50s. Hoping Weber bros metal works Chicago as it would be my first [emoji119]

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 03:17:18 AM »
That's awesome!

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 07:13:36 AM »
Congratulations on the great find!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 10:05:16 AM »
Sweet find!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Blacky924

• WKC Brave
Early Single Vent Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 02:02:28 AM »
There seemed to be limited info on dating early Smokey joes so I did some digging and found the following. I’ve used catalogs, print media descriptions and collector photos of metal lid handle Smokey’s to come up with this info. by no means is it 100% accurate and happy for others to jump in with anything they have found but thought i would share:

-chromed legs 55/56 as it was mentioned in these catalogs

-Square lid handle end up until 59

-Rounded lid handle end from 1960 onwards would have been redesigned and standardised with the intro of galley Que and all sea foam galley ques are rounded

-Single vent from 55-63. Three vent introduced in 64 when catalog mentioned “improved Smokey joe”

Late 64 to early 65 handle, changed to be offset pointing to the outside of grill. Still a metal handle but just prior to timber which was introduced in 65.

There also may be some significance in the lid vent rivet. All rivets I have seen on the handle over the vent are riveted from inside the lid. The offset handle pointing away from centre of lid are riveted from the outside. The one that is on its way appears to be handle over vent but riveted from outside but needs to be verified and could just be grime in the rivet making bit appear as solid top of rivet on outside.

I am unsure also if the very early 55/56 Smokey’s had a square tab bowl vent. Some print media suggests this but not always reliable to refer to print media images.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:57:43 PM by Blacky924 »