Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The struggle is real....  (Read 583 times)

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
The struggle is real....
« on: February 28, 2022, 08:37:16 AM »
Only thing worse than being an overthinker is being an INDECISIVE overthinker, so I'm looking for a little advice. Bear with me [emoji23]
This is the bowl and lid I've decided to go with for my Gen 2 performer refurb (I've decided to stash the new blue lid and bowl I obtained for a possible later project).
While I am trying to decide if I want to add the gas assist or not, I started wondering if I ought to bother even drilling for the the lid bale, and I wanted to see what you guys thought of this idea I just had.
If I mount this with the handle strap facing towards the back side, I won't have to hack it off, it gives another handle to help moving it around, and I could still hang the lid from the handle with the hook inside the lid, which is a little easier than searching for the lip of the bowl.
On the other hand, leaving the handle strap looking the way it is now sort of doesn't look "good", and I can't think of what to put on it that won't melt or get damaged. Plus using the handle instead of the bale still seems to leave the lid open to potential drops.  (I mean if I drop it, I drop it. But I'm gonna use this at a vacation rental I own too).
What do you guys think?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: The struggle is real....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:28 AM »
Chop off the handle and add the lid bale.  Gas assist install is easy but optional.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 09:24:14 AM »
Chop off the handle and add the lid bale.  Gas assist install is easy but optional.

When you chops yours off you covered it with a stainless strap, right? How did you get yours flush and how did you attach the strap?
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 10:09:21 AM »

When you chops yours off you covered it with a stainless strap, right? How did you get yours flush and how did you attach the strap?
Chop it off in a manner that the welded portion remain on the bowl.  High temp paint on the exposed metal.  Leave it as is or cover it up with stainless strap.
Strap is bolted right through the welded portion of the handle. 
Another option is to keep the handle by cutting a notch on the tabletop.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 04:20:44 PM »
First of all a great choice, red on a gen 2 (especially with a metal table upgrade) is a incredible look!
It looks like there’s only one handle, and if I’m not mistaken you can put that under the table and not have to actually cut it off. I think I’ve seen someone do that before..
If it were me I’d probably still cut it off since you’re going to be drilling into it anyway.
My 2 cents, cut the handle, do the lid bale, and the gas assist. That would make it pretty much a strong contender for ‘if you could only have one’
Good luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club