Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke X with Billows  (Read 597 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Smoke X with Billows
« on: June 02, 2021, 02:47:04 AM »
We are considering buying these items, to use with our Kettles.
Already in our possession is a Thermoworks Smoke. It does not have the ability to work with Billows, so a new temp monitor will be required. Smoke X.

Does anyone here use these? The controlled airflow would be nice. A true Set-It-And-Forget-It operation. This would be the ultimate convenience!

What say you?

https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex2

https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoke X with Billows
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:28:35 AM »
I don't have any type of controller/blower for my kettles or WSM, but have done a lot of research on them.  The one that stands out is the FireBoard 2 Drive or Pro.  It utilizes a variable speed approach rather than on/off like some others and is made in the USA.  Check out their website, they are a company that seems to appreciate and support their employees - even highlight them on their website.  I believe the unit works with a pit viper fan as well for a round hole installation.  Again, I don't have one, but if I were going to buy one, this is the one I'd go with.  Good luck!

https://www.fireboard.com/

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 05:45:09 AM by bamakettles »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks! I'll look into this!

pizzaioli75

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »
I have a billows and love it.  It is super useful to keep tabs on everything with minimal effort.  I have used it for a few cooks since i got it last year and highly recommend.  I am also a huge fan of thermoworks products, so I may be a bit biased.  for the ultimate in convenience, it is tough to go wrong.  Good luck!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:00:01 PM »
I have a billows and love it.  It is super useful to keep tabs on everything with minimal effort.  I have used it for a few cooks since i got it last year and highly recommend.  I am also a huge fan of thermoworks products, so I may be a bit biased.  for the ultimate in convenience, it is tough to go wrong.  Good luck!

Is it connected to your Kettle? Did you need to drill a big hole in the bowl? Is there a way to connect the Billows without cutting the kettle up?

I too am a Thermoworks fan. Good stuff.

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 07:33:43 PM »
I have been looking at one for awhile, and from everything I can see you have to cut a whole in the bowl.
I did recently see some reviews of the fire board one though and am tempted by that too.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »
I use the Smoke X4 and Billows. Excellent, EXCELLENT product! I use it solely on my Summit charcoal as it’s really become my go-to smoker, and already has the port for a temp controller and I don’t have the heart to drill a hole in my Red LE or Glen Blue 26”. I’ll do an all-night cook and keep the monitor next to me so if I happen to wake up I can hit the button (either lights up the screen) and take a quick peak and pass back out. If I had to get up and check, I would never fall back to sleep.

Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 03:51:05 AM »
I'm in the same boat, kinda. I have wanted to drill a hole in my black 26 to utilize my billows controller that I have for for WSM.  I can't say enough good things about thermoworks. Customer support is outstanding. About cutting the hole though, my understanding is that it's not too much of a concern because you either put some high temp paint on it, or just let the grill smoke and grease heal over the "exposed" metal. I would need to research where exactly to cut the hole...so I'm following here to see what you do. Good question!
And I also wonder how well it would work at stabilizing temps with the differing charcoal/lump setups, like the SnS XL, or the snake, or whatever...

Is it connected to your Kettle? Did you need to drill a big hole in the bowl? Is there a way to connect the Billows without cutting the kettle up?

I too am a Thermoworks fan. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 04:39:52 AM »
I guess it’s not necessary to drill a hole. I know some folks run it in the bottom vent and block the other vents, Billows does come with a rectangle of high temp tape for doing so. With its spring loaded arms, as long as it can get sufficient bite, it’s going to stay. Foam gasket around it to seal. I may have to try this for giggles

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 06:23:51 PM »
Good point on utilizing the vent triangles.
I guess it’s not necessary to drill a hole. I know some folks run it in the bottom vent and block the other vents, Billows does come with a rectangle of high temp tape for doing so. With its spring loaded arms, as long as it can get sufficient bite, it’s going to stay. Foam gasket around it to seal. I may have to try this for giggles

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
If your looking for a fan system look no further than BBQ Guru. Robert "BBQ Bob" Trudnak is a stand up guy. He always helps teams with parts or whatever may be needed durning BBQ comps! I personally have met him and others from BBQ Guru. Made in America can great customer service.

I’ve used both single and double pit controllers.

You can find them here https://bbqguru.com/

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 08:19:01 PM »
I have my 26" set up with a Fireboard 2 connected to a Pit Viper Fan and it works great!  I have it paired with a SNS which is an awesome combo. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 01:38:41 AM »
And here is what my neighbor, who does smoking on a drum smoker, and is an award winning beer brewer, uses...Pitmaster IQ 110.
It will fit on a Kettle, with no drilling required.

https://www.amazon.com/PitmasterIQ-Temperature-Regulator-Standard-Mountain/dp/B00A7F1B60

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »
I'm against drilling any holes in a kettle. Can't bring myself to do it. After a lot of back and forth with @Jules V. this is the solution I came up with for my Performer:

The best part is nothing needs to be permanently modified on either the kettle or the Billows (assuming you have a propane assist burner tube). Just pull the hose, slide the billows on, and go.

The parts needed to do this are the Universal adapter from Thermoworks:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KWnjNc2/0/a888be3e/XL/i-KWnjNc2-XL.jpg

Round SS tubing from McMaster:

https://www.mcmaster.com/1750T13/

and some JB Weld to join the two together. The tubing is a nice slip fit over the 3/4" O.D. burner tube. If you want to use the propane assist feature you just pop the hose back in the burner tube. I removed the circlip holding it in place.

I tried it out last night on my riser setup without a heat deflector by setting it to 325, closing the bottom vents and closing the top almost all the way. It crept up to 322 before I had to start flipping the flank steak.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
For the blower as the others I have the Fireboard and viper combo, works a treat.

I jumped ship from Thermoworks, as there was definitely a period where application development was lacking, which is quite the opposite with the Fireboard.