Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to get crispy skin.  (Read 657 times)

Foundry37

• Smokey Joe
How to get crispy skin.
« on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »
Plum Dinger was chugging away today.
Halved my first yardbird . Rubbed with a coffee garlic rub from Trader Joe’s.
Came off super juicy but skin was not too crispy. Ok rubbery is the word.
Got grill to 375 (according to hanging probe from iGrill mini through vents.but still not crisp.
Any suggestions?
I am bare bones here 20 year old 22” kettle . No thermometer other than the iGrill mini probe.
No vortex or baskets.
What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How to get crispy skin.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
I like higher heat 400-425 and I oil my skin right before putting it on the grill.  Try cracking the lid a little bit to get more airflow and heat.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
I don't know but I don't think you can get crispy skin indirect. Plus the moisture from the vegetables and steam from the drip pan are going to make it worse. I would say sear first and then cook it until it's done, or cook until done and then sear.

You can get away with cooking wings direct because they're thin. A bigger piece of fowl is going to burn up direct before you can get it cooked.

Watching to see what the experts say.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Foundry37

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »

I like higher heat 400-425 and I oil my skin right before putting it on the grill.  Try cracking the lid a little bit to get more airflow and heat.

I will try that next time.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »
Patting dry and then air drying on a rack helps significantly. 

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
Patting dry and then air drying on a rack helps significantly. 

I agree with this, made a big difference for me last time I did split breasts and thighs bone in and especially when doing whole birds.  I also, do a bit of butter basting during the cook, tends to help crisp the skin. 

I actually take the chicken the night before my cook, wash it in the sink then dry it with paper towels - inside and out.  Trim up anything you feel needs trimming.  I then add kosher salt and put it in the fridge uncovered until the next day when I want to cook it.  Just before adding to the grill, light rub/pat on some olive oil and no-salt BBQ rub (already has salt from the dry brine.)  After a couple hours it may start to look dry, a light - stress light- butter baste can help keep it from drying out and aid in the crispy skin goal.

Other times, I'm lazy and just take it out, wash/rinse it, pat down well to get it as dry as I can and then add olive oil/rub and put her on the grill.  Either way, getting the bird dry first and then a butter baste or two during the cook has never steered me wrong - on a gasser, charcoal, hot/fast or low/slow.  Even in the oven I do it almost the same way.