Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: top vent placement on kettle  (Read 2131 times)

charc

• Happy Cooker
top vent placement on kettle
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Hi guys,

I use the Weber charcoal basket when occasionally smoking meats on the kettle and was just curious if any of you guys have a particular place you like your top vent to be placed.  For example, do you place the top vent on the same side as the coals (if using the coal basket) or do you keep the vent on the opposite side of where the coal basket/heat source is?  If so, any reasons why or just preference? 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: top vent placement on kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

Welcome Here, Charc !!!

I ordinarily align the top vent across from the burn....I've only used baskets a couple times, but I would guess it would be about the same as a "chain" or "fuse" burn........
with that type of setup, I'll rotate the lid a few times during the cook, so as to have the smoke draw across the food; I've tried some tests with having the vent right over where it's burning & it showed that the coals would burn slightly faster if allowed to exhaust straight up..........

I have an intuition, no scientific evidence, the the heat will also 'draw' across the food if set up like this
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
I concur with Buckie.. Its what I do.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
Doesn't matter with my grill, the vent is right at the top...in the middle. If you ask me.....and you did sorta, it make no difference. It may make a difference if you are using a vertical smoker , being that the heat from the firebox will travel the long distance it has to to vent out but I think that the design of the kettle is more oven like and you will get more even heating throughout the whole dome of the lid. I don't have any scientific proof either but I do have lots of cooks under my belt that tell me that it really makes no difference. If I put wood in to smoke something it gets plenty of it and I do get great smoke rings and I can not direct the venting of the heat. Hope that helps you out. If you feel that it works better for you to have the vents opposite of the coals , then it does.....do what feels good to you .......the kettle is just the best design cooker and it will make your meal come out great as long as you enjoy yourself and watch your heat.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!