Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Big cook prep questions  (Read 797 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Big cook prep questions
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
Ok so im planing on doing my first brisket cook in a couple weeks. I know about how im gonna do it but just want to not miss any fine tuning advice.

I know basically how im gonna do it but im still un decided if im gonna snake or 2 zone cook and just add coals every hour or so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Big cook prep questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
Ok so im planing on doing my first brisket cook in a couple weeks. I know about how im gonna do it but just want to not miss any fine tuning advice.

I know basically how im gonna do it but im still un decided if im gonna snake or 2 zone cook and just add coals every hour or so

What are you cooking it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »

What are you cooking it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22 kettle

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 03:08:07 AM »
I love the snake method, but I usually use my 26er one touch, I have since switched to using a 3 wheeler 26 with the snake and love it. I still would recommend the snake on a 22 though
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 03:49:54 AM »
+1 on the snake method. 

A 2x2 snake, started with a dozen or so coals works fine.  Place your wood on top of your 2x2.  You'll keep steady low and slow temps  with minimal adjustments for 4-5 hours; you'll get more if you make the snake longer than 1/2 the circle.  This gets tricky with whole packer because indirect space will get limited.  I do mine on a 26 like JEBIV with a snake, and the extra real estate for a whole packer is great.  To make life easier, once (and if) you wrap after the bark sets and you have the color  you want, it's easier to finish it in the oven.  You won't need smoke anymore and you can ramp up temps faster if you need to hurry.  Plus, no more adding coals.   I cook a lot of whole packers and I have some simple rules.  1) buy the best brisket you can find.  Buy choice or better.  Costco has prime for $3.39/lb in my area.  Buy a packer, not a flat.  Flats are difficult for the best cooks to keep from drying out.  2) keep you seasoning simple.  SPG is perfect.  3) Do not cook it to temp.  I usually go to 203 but you have to cook to tenderness.  Use your thermo probe to check.  4) rest it.   

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:32 AM »
Thanks guys. Yea im gonna get the best one i can afford. My mom has a sams card so i may go with her and look there. Im getting a whole packer. Been watching alot of harry soo videos so im hoping ill be able to judge feel pretty well. And i plan on resting for an hour. Its gonna be a fun day.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:16:12 AM »
My first brisket was a nice big 17 lb packer and my wife wouldn't tell me how much she paid, talk about pressure, that was about 5 years ago and it turned out great. You should be just fine, no fear and have fun
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

sunlitcowboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
Remember the stall at 160 degrees and start really early because it takes 14hours or so to get it done. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app